Auction, Dec 16th

dbartco

Auction to benefit the Waikiki Aquarium

WAMAS, The Washington D.C. Area Marine Aquarist Society, will be hosting a "Auction to benefit the Waikiki Aquarium" on Saturday Dec 16th, 2006 from 12 pm - 3pm. We have reserved space at the Falls Church Community Center in the "Art Room". A $500 or greater donation gets us a recognition plaque on the wall at the aquarium.

Falls Church Community Center

223 Little Falls Street

Fall Church, VA 22046

703 248-5077

MAPQUEST

Charles Delbeek's request:

The Waikiki Aquarium is planning a new exhibit to highlight the aquatic life found in the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands. This chain of islands, atolls and seamounts extends for approximately 1200 miles from Kauai, northwest to Kure Atoll. Recently designated as a national monument by President Bush, the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands represent the largest living coral reef region in the United States, and are home to wide variety of unique marine life.

Waikiki Aquarium staff have designed a 5000 gallon exhibit to feature some of the rare and endemic fish found in these waters. The exhibit will highlight rare and unusual marine fish such as Masked Angelfish (Genicanthus personatus), Japanese Pygmy Angelfish (Centropyge interrupta), Morwongs (Cheilodactylus vittatus) and Bearded Armorheads (Evistias acutirostris).

The estimated total cost for this exhibit will be $225,000 US and donations (tax deductable) would be most welcome. Donations of $500-$4999 US will be recognized on a donor?s wall for five years, donations greater than $5000 US will be posted on a separate section of the donor?s wall, also for five years. A donation of $125,000 US or greater would be granted naming rights for the exhibit.

For more information on how to submit a donation please contact our development office at 808-440-9015.

Donations are tax deductable. More information to be posted asap. Those needed rides from metro please let us know and we can arrange pickup. Refreshments will be provided.

If you have ANYTHING you wish to donate (dry or live) to the raffle, please PM me (and a pic if you can) and I will list below.

Items so far to be auctioned:

Rare Frags by John Coppolino (johnc / copps):

Rare Frags by Rik Leishman (leishman2):

Goodies from Scales Tropical Fish Warehouse (AndrewB)

TWO $50 gift certificates from Wally's (chefthomasr)!

A ton of items from Blue Ribbon Koi (Johnnybv)

1) signed copy of the Clam Book by James Featheree

2) 1 box IO salt 200 gal

3) 5 Frags including a Superman Monti, ORA blue tort, ORA tri color, RPE palies, and another misc frag

4) 1 Aqua hub DIY auto top off kit

5) $25 livestock certificate

2 new 400W MH SE Chinese bulbs by Jean-Marie LeGrand(JMsAquarium)

Signed and personalized copy of Sprung and Delbeek's "Reef Aquarium, Vol 3",

gallery_335_51_10814.jpg

2 Blue tort frags (dbartco)

gallery_335_51_852.jpg

Frags by Dave Hochheiser (dhoch) including RPE's and more

rpe01_small.jpg

+ many more!!

Come on folks. I know there is some great stuff out there we could use to raise some money for this cause. Lets make this happen! Please PM me if you have something you could donate.

bump

We are still looking for items for the auction. Scratch that. WE NEED items for the raffle. If we are going to hit our goal of >$500, we need as much help as we can.

Also, those who have said that they would donate, get me a pic. I would like to set up a projector to display the items' picture at the auction, so we can see their true colors!!

Doug

A few more donations to add to the list. Stores are stepping up now, so there will definitely be some great items up for grabs.

Scales Tropical Fish Warehouse (AndrewB) and Wally's (chefthomasr) have both committed . I do need help though. If there is anyone who can stop by these locations on the way to the auction I would appreciate it. Please pm me if you can transport.

Updated!

A Big Thank You to Thomas "ChiefThomas" and "Powder Brown" of Wally's for coming through with not 1 but 2 Gift Certificates!!

Thanks guys!!

• 2 weeks later...

No fee to attend. Open to public

You just have to pay for what you buy when you are the high bidder. We will start the price for a coral frag at say $5. Then people bid in increments of say $5 per bid. Keep going on each frag until someone bids the most and nobody else is willing to bid more for it.

ALL 100% of the bid proceeds will be donated to Waikiki Aquarium in the name of WAMAS.

Folks its looking like we are going to have A LOT of great items to be bid on with deals to be had buit that's the not the biggest reason we are doing this so we need A LOT of folks to come out!! This means YOU!!!!

Even if its only an hour or 2, Please come out!!

Update

Between the auction sales and donations from members, we raised $1755.

Special thanks to all the donors of items for the acutioin and those that donated their greenbacks!

The Officers

and that number is only going to go up... see my auctions in the auction section....All moneys going to the aquarium as well.... so if you missed out... check it out.

Dave

AWESOME TIMES FOLKS!!!

GREAT TURNOUT!

GREAT DONATIONS FROM ALL THAT DONATED!

UNBELIEVEABLE CHARITY TO THOSE WHO BID!!

My 4 corals only cost me $245!!!

:cry:

Disclosure: I also got a $50 Gift Certifcate from Wallys!!! YAHOO!! :wink:

• 1 month later...