What is this thing? anenome

Guest cbo

Guest cbo

I am setting up a new 20 gallon reef and thus far I have had the pumps running about a month and have had rock in it about as long.  In addition to killing 3 or 4 aptasias that had hitched ride on the rock I have what looks to be a very small anenome.  At first I thought it was a little zoo polyp, but then it started to walk around the tank.  I have tried to take a picture, but have unable to get any to turn out well.  It is about 1/2 the size of a dime, is red/brown, and has what look like bulb tips on its tentacles.

Questions.

Any opinions on what it is, how to tell what it is?  I will keep trying to take pictures.

What should I do with it?(move it, leave it alone..)  It is in a 20H with a bunch of curing live rock, I have started leaving the lights on longer that I normally would while curing rock.  The only other tank I have is a 6 gallon nano.  Most of the rock I got pretty fresh from roozens, still in the box, but still dry for a few days, and some from the vat at TRT which is where I think it came from.

So all in all pretty cool, just wondering what the chances are of it surviving in its existing tank.

cbo

That sounds just like the one I found last week that I thought was a baby BTA.  I have since found two more next to my large open brain.  They are super sticky!  I saw my checkered goby touch one and he took off away from it as if he got stung or something.  All are resting in the sand.

Guest cbo

Gee larry, thanks for scaring the cr*p out of me, and I put that * in there not the board.  I looked majano up on reefcentral and got some good info.  Prevyet if that is what you have get them out now, before you go away.  The posts on reefcentral indicate that majano's have a greenish cast to them, which this one does not.  It certainly bears watching, and if it splits at all it is out of there.  

I guess the reality of the situation is, if it is hardy enough to survive all the rock curing, I probably dont want it.  Isn't that always the way it is.

cbo

Guest cbo

When I got home yesterday, the thing was looking much happier and more open, it had moved on the glass to behind my overflow.  It also was developing a greenish cast to it, that combined with it's small size was enough to convince me that it is indeed a majano and I yanked it out.  So, anybody here want a majano, I can bring it to the meeting.

cbo

Guest cbo

spoken like a bitter man larry, how is your aptaisa culture going.  Are the pepermints doing their job.

cbo