Cool Regal Angel

davelin315

extremely sensitive. sps water required and difficult to get eating. i would be afraid to get this fish online as it is very sensitive

Just a little oranger than normal aint he? Great looking, the price crazy though.

That is an incredible price for that fish if it is WYSWYG, Red sea fish are getting harder and harder to get.

john

That is an incredible price for that fish if it is WYSWYG, Red sea fish are getting harder and harder to get.

john

I'm with John, usually the Red Sea Regals almost anywhere online go for 135 and up without shipping. Not that difficult to get them to eat just alot of patience and experimentation.

Raf

OK, so I broke down and decided that (after PMing John to see if he could get a pair of these for me!) to go ahead and get this one. It was simply too much to resist! Awesome colors! I'm going to do a group buy to see if anyone wants to buy anything else to get me over the hump for free shipping!

Wow that is a beauty. Keep us informed on how it does. I was reading copps Totm and he apparently has some very good experience with these fish as was stated.

Nice looking fish and a great price!

Congrats Dave! I've had my trio of these together for about 2.5 years with single specimens longer. One of the WAMAS banners at the top of the page shows a shot of my original guy from years ago... One of my favorite angelfish for years...

I did want to chime in and offer some advice though... with proper care your chances of success with this fish will increase exponentially. Too many people use what I call the "dump and hope" approach, adding these fish to an established reef right away where the animal has little chance. Established reef tanks are a stressful environment where food lasts just seconds when added. These fish should be quarantined in a quiet dimly lit environment free from stress and competition for food. Sometimes the lucky individual will begin feeding right away, but usually it takes coaxing. I recommend clams and mussels on the half shell, but really try anything it will eat. Whatever it begins eating, feed that! Do not worry about long term dietary needs, but rather just worry about calories... feed early and as often as you can. After about a month or so (different with each fish) the fish could be added to the display. The pestering from established fish that newcomers get is much more manageable when the fish is fattened up, settled in, and feeding very confidently. Also, by keeping the fish segregated at first, if any issues arise the fish could be easily medicated or treated...

I have doubts whether this is a true Red Sea fish, but really it doesn't matter... many people label all Indian Ocean regal angels as "Red Sea", but exports out of the Red Sea have been few and far between recently. Chris and Kristine at RM are good people so the fish either way should be in good shape. Ask them what it is feeding on if anything at all. While these are touchy fish at first, if you could get over the hump and get these fish adapted they settle in quite well and will feed from your fingers... Here's an older shot of them tagging the turkey baster...

regals3.jpg

And a newer not so good shot of the trio... the nice thing is that while they grow to about 10 inches in the wild they top of in the 6 inch range in captivity...

regal_trio.jpg

Good luck Dave... you have a good chance as you pay attention to detail... keep us updated! :)

Copps

I will be interested to find out if the fish actually is colored the way the photo shows it is. It looks to me like the photo was shot with Fuji positive film under special lighting conditions. Underwater photographers often prefer Fuji film because of its high degree of color saturation that sometimes give almost cartoonish coloration relative to Kodak films which usually yield gentler colors.

I've dived with these fish many times in the Red Sea and many times in various locations around the Indian and the Indo-Pacific Oceans and have never noticed them to be colored any differently from their cousins anywhere in the Indian Ocean, even as far away as Australia.

I do hope your fish comes in with these fabulous colors as it would be an unusually beautiful specimen.

Good luck,

fab

Spoke to RM today and the photograph is a bit misleading. They were very honest with me in telling me that it was not that coloration and he went over to see the fish to verify. It is a Red Sea according to them, but not that coloration, so I'm inclined to wait around until my tank is ready to go and then I'll let it live in the sump until it's time to add it to the main display. I'll go with BRK instead since I know that WYSIWYG! Still, though, very tempted to buy that fish anyway...

Copps, when I do get some for my tank, I'll be leaning on you and John to guide me towards matching a pair of them up, or even a trio as you have.

Yeah I figured it wasn't that color, but a nice fish nonetheless...

At BRK we could bring in many nice Indian Ocean specimens, but currently not Red Sea. I also have a line on good Marshall Island Pacific regals through one of my buddies in Hawaii... However, the last pair we got in John swiped for his home tank! :biggrin: These are never collected as pairs, as true pairs are too large to be collected, but by combining smaller specimens together they work it out in the long run as they are hermaphrodites like many other reef fish...

Yeah I figured it wasn't that color, but a nice fish nonetheless...

At BRK we could bring in many nice Indian Ocean specimens, but currently not Red Sea. I also have a line on good Marshall Island Pacific regals through one of my buddies in Hawaii... However, the last pair we got in John swiped for his home tank! :biggrin: These are never collected as pairs, as true pairs are too large to be collected, but by combining smaller specimens together they work it out in the long run as they are hermaphrodites like many other reef fish...

Would have been nice as that color! One in a million, but I guess that one doesn't exist as we know it yet!

Other than the yellow belly, is there any difference between the regals from different oceans?

dave, i have had great luck with my regal solo when i added her to the tank by using a feeding clip on one side of the tank, and having a very friendly and very hungry porc puffer of all things to explain the ropes. the regal to this day follows the puffer around and will eat whatever the puffer happens to be working on.

if you have a not so picky fish that is easy in temperament, you might try adding it with the regal if you haev feeding issues, out of all my regal success stories its always been the ones who went in with this porc that have done the best and eaten the most varied diet.

currently mine eats any and all frozen prepared foods like emerald entree marine cuisine, krill, mysis etc, all the frozen formula 1-2 angel, and most of the ocean nutrition line, as well as pellets and aquarian flake food.

they arent picky once you get them over the bump,

• 6 months later...

After kicking myself for not getting this one the first time around, I have been scanning different sites for regal angels again... and found them again on reefermadness! I spoke to them today and they are shipping 2 small (2-3") out of the Red Sea (confirmed this with them) to me tonight, should be here tomorrow. I'm planning on keeping them in my sump where they will have no competition, great water quality, and plenty of rock to pick over for food. It's also somewhat dim and easy to catch them if needed. This will allow me to monitor them and feed them without competition from other creatures. The other option is to put them into a 50 gallon frag tray, any thoughts on this? I am hoping that since they are hermaphrodites, the small size of them will result in a male female combination... I'll take some pictures tomorrow!