ANOTHER GLASS CAGES AQUARIUM FAILURE

NAGA

In the last 6 month's I have come across now 3 Glass Cages Aquariums.

When the client contacted Glass Cages he was told to try to glue it together......LOL!!! as the warranty was expired. This tank was 96"x18"x36". Anyone thinking of going with Glasscages might want to think about it again before ordering. The other two tanks were not as large and came apart in different spots. This tank camp apart at the top brace where they use very thin glass for euro bracing and cross bracing. With that came the side seams separating. The other two tanks were failure on the sides and the other the bottom middle seam came apart.

pic attached;

DSC00446.jpg

DSC00447.jpg

WE ALL KNOW THEY ARE THE ECONOMY AQUARIUM.............LET'S FACE IT NOBODY CAN MAKE A TANK AND CHEAP AS THEY CAN. ...................HOWEVER IT SEEMS AS THOUGH YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

WHEN I GOT A LOOK AT IT UP CLOSE THEY USED 1/2" GLASS FOR THE EURO BRACE AND 1/4" GLASS FOR THE CROSS BRACING. THE 1/2" GLASS IS WHAT BROKE APART AND THE VERTICAL SEAMS ON ONE SIDE ARE SEPARATED AS WELL.

The prices they offer make their tanks very tempting. I am considering a 400 gal system (96x30x31). Any ideas on other tank companies I should consider and possible websites, so I could do some product/price comparisons? Sory NAGA, not trying to hijack your thread just doing research for an informed decision.

The prices they offer make their tanks very tempting. I am considering a 400 gal system (96x30x31). Any ideas on other tank companies I should consider and possible websites, so I could do some product/price comparisons? Sory NAGA, not trying to hijack your thread just doing research for an informed decision.

NAGA can build one for you if you are looking for acrylic. I highly recommend dealing with Miracles for glass.

Prices are tempting but this is a prime example of what cost cutting leads to. The easiest way to make a tank (or anything else for that matter) cheap is to use thinner material, exploit foreign labor and put a shop in the middle of BF Tennessee. I am seriously appalled by this mentality. But hey they do give you a 90 day warranty so thats got to be standing behind your products right? lol Buy it right the first time or twice and a wet vac.

Guest Mark Powell

I went with Glass Cages for a hood for one of my freshwater tanks- Hoods for 5' tanks are difficult to find.

If they put the same care and craftmanship into their aquariums that they do into their furniture, I'm surprised they hold water at all. The trim randomly sticks out almost half an inch in places. YMMV, and I hope anyone who does buy from them has a pleasent experiance- But I won't again.

If they put the same care and craftmanship into their aquariums that they do into their furniture, I'm surprised they hold water at all. The trim randomly sticks out almost half an inch in places. YMMV, and I hope anyone who does buy from them has a pleasent experiance- But I won't again.

Their stands are extremely basic and built for super fast assembly with all edges rounded to mask any miscuts or bad joints.

When they were making their most recent deliveries to Manassas. I said jokingly, "Wow! I wish people would pay me to build quick and dirty stands like that. Everyone wants something nicer and fancier though." The response was something like, "Yeah, they always want us to build fancy stands too but we refuse. They either take what we build or they can look elsewhere."

I've never bought anything from GC and from what I've seen and heard, I don't think I ever will.

Prices are tempting but this is a prime example of what cost cutting leads to. The easiest way to make a tank (or anything else for that matter) cheap is to use thinner material, exploit foreign labor and put a shop in the middle of BF Tennessee. I am seriously appalled by this mentality. But hey they do give you a 90 day warranty so thats got to be standing behind your products right? lol Buy it right the first time or twice and a wet vac.

exploit foreign labor?

Look at the writing on the glass panels of GC tanks when they are delivered. Just about everything is writting in Spanish.

Sorry, I'm just stuck behind the whole "exploiting foreign labor" idea...

I can't (or at least choose not to) comment on the word "exploit" since I have no clue what the working conditions are or how much they get paid. It's a fair bet that the workers are foreign though. Regardless, the point of the thread is poor quality of construction, not the nationality of the workers.

Sorry, I'm just stuck behind the whole "exploiting foreign labor" idea...

It really doesn't matter what nationality anybody is. Cheap tanks mean bad pay for workers foreign or not, end of story.

It looks like something was dropped on it?

It looks like something was dropped on it?

Possibly, but I don't think so. If what I'm looking at is what I think it is, it appears to be a problem with the glass (or construction with the stresses). If something was dropped on it, in my experience, the crack would be different than what we are seeing.

This is a quote I got from miracles aquariums for a tank that I'm looking into getting:

We quoted 60" long x 36" wide x 24" high

all edges machine polished

3/4" tempered bottom with 4 holes for two overflows 4 sided 12" x 6", glass interior for strength clad with black acrylic

1/2" starphire 2 long and 1 short

4-1/2" eurobrace all around

shipping included to 21409, client must supply location with a loading dock for unloading

$ 2873.00

please allow 7-8 weeks from order date

Same tank from glass cages is about 1/3 the price shipping included... Some thing is diffrent some where. miracles also uses 1/2 eruobracing. Naga PM me when you get a chance have some Q's for ya. Thanks. :bluefish:

Edited by six-line

The break is a stress break................in additon as I said before the sides are separated 1/3 of the way down on both ends.

If I didn't say it before I'll say it now.......................you get what you pay for

This is a quote I got from miracles aquariums for a tank that I'm looking into getting:

Same tank from glass cages is about 1/3 the price shipping included... Some thing is diffrent some where.

fwiw: I have yet to see machine polished edges on GlassCages tank, possibly contributing to so many posted quality issues.

The stand was very well built. It was done by a professional and over built. I checked it for levelness and it's dead nuts level.

This tank is less than a year old and even if the stand were built poorly it should have lasted longer than that. In addition the stand would have to be significantly out for that to occur.

In a nutshell this really is in black and white, if your going to buy a tank from a company who only gives a 90 day warranty I think thats nuts. The money you save and really put at risk isn't worth it given that the failure rate they seem to have. I build tanks and very large ones at that and if I were to suggest to someone that they should get a tank from me because I'm cheaper than everyone but, oh by the way I am only going to warranty the thing for 90 days I wouldn't sell as many tanks as I do now.

I am certainly not suggesting that every Glasscages tank is going to fail but, from what I have seen in the quality and customer service I woulnd not consider saving a couple of hundred dollars on a tank that very likely is going to keep thousands of dollars I spend for the animal to go in it. That couple of hundred dollar savings is going to be chump change when the tank fails and I lose thousands.

All I say is those who have Glasscages tanks.............good luck :) maybe you can glue it back together.......glasscages seems to think so as they suggested that to the client........other than that they said too bad we're sorry.