Coming back to the hobby

onux20

Well Hello to everyone. I will apologize now for the length of this post. I am really excited to get started!

I am back in the hobby after a brief hiatus. I had a 55

Hi, welcome back!

Looks like your going to do great with the new tank. I would think twice about the coral beauty though, as angels are sometimes not really "reef safe".

So how big exactly is the new tank? Looking forward to seeing progress on it when you get it started. There's a board for tank threads - be sure to start one once your tank is up!

Are you planning to get 'fresh' live rock because you want to run through the cycle and hopefully get some nice critters with the rock? I did that with my first tank - a 24-gallon Aquapod; and it took forever and stunk up the house. If you're using Arag-alive, you could just get some good already-cycled live rock and probably have a 'blip' of a cycle. Heck with that small a tank - get water from someone's water change and have no cycle at all.

bob

Hi, welcome back!

Looks like your going to do great with the new tank. I would think twice about the coral beauty though, as angels are sometimes not really "reef safe".

So how big exactly is the new tank? Looking forward to seeing progress on it when you get it started. There's a board for tank threads - be sure to start one once your tank is up!

They say it is 34g. I figure with rock and sand maybe the high 20s. I chose the coral beauty to have a fish that will cruise around he tank. The gobies will likely find a good perch and just watch for food. Do you recommend a fish that will assume the cruising role?

Ron

Are you planning to get 'fresh' live rock because you want to run through the cycle and hopefully get some nice critters with the rock? I did that with my first tank - a 24-gallon Aquapod; and it took forever and stunk up the house. If you're using Arag-alive, you could just get some good already-cycled live rock and probably have a 'blip' of a cycle. Heck with that small a tank - get water from someone's water change and have no cycle at all.

bob

Bob,

Yes I was looking to get some hitchhikers from the rock. Now that you have presented some other ideas I will have to reconsider. I will be in Springfield, do you know where to get good quality rock? I was shocked to hear the Reef Tank closed since I have been gone.

Any advice or help is appreciated.

Ron

hows it comming?

Well today the movers showed up to pack up the house in San Diego. So I am one day closer to getting to DC. I probably wont start the tank until late next month. My wife insists I unpack the rest of the house BEFORE I start on the tank! :cry:

I will keep you all posted with pics of the process and progress.

Ron

Well today the movers showed up to pack up the house in San Diego. So I am one day closer to getting to DC. I probably wont start the tank until late next month. My wife insists I unpack the rest of the house BEFORE I start on the tank! :cry:

I will keep you all posted with pics of the process and progress.

Ron

Welcome back, when you are ready for frags LMK and I'll get you started it.

Raf

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Okay here's an unfortunate update. Well 3214.4 miles ago I left San Diego for DC with my lovely wife and 14month old daughter, and TWO cats! Six days later, I am proud to say we all made it. We are here and the first wave of boxes have been unpacked. I kept my wife happy by putting up the bed and the baby's crib BEFORE I tore into the tank. Here's the unfortunate part. On step four of the construction of the tank stand I came to a screeching halt. The side panel was was predrilled in the worng spot!!! :cry:

Since I bought the setup in SD, the LFS is no longer the LFS! So I called Current USA and told them my plight. I tried the see if I could exchange it locally...no dice. Right now I am not really impressed with the customer service. They tried to send me the wrong part and then got a little snippy when I corrected them. Hopefully they will send the right part and I will be back on the road to setting up my tiny "reef" by next weekend.

I will keep you posted.

Ron

Edited by onux20

Okay here is another update. I should have the replacement part for the stand tomorrow. :rollface: I already warned my wife that I will be up putting it together after work! I already started making water. I should have enough to leak test it. IF everything goes well, I should have the tank set up before the weekend. Then off to Mom's house for Easter. Now that I know how to put pictures in I hope to post some tomorrow. Finally making some progress!

Ron

(edited)

Here is the update I have been waitng to give. :biggrin:

I got the replacement part for the stand this evening and got to work right after dinner. After a few miscues on my part, my wife guided my through to completion.

Here are some pics with commentary

The stand...

gallery_656_365_19292.jpg

The tank and stand...

gallery_656_365_120205.jpg

The equipment compartment. I plan to remove the tiny bioballs unless it causes too many issues with proper flow.

gallery_656_365_81289.jpg

I am able to make water in the utility room right behind the tank. It should make water changes easier.

gallery_656_365_101362.jpg

HERE is the tank with about 10gal of water. I forgot the flush the pump before I started it up so I got some crud in the water. I hope its okay. Leak test until tomorrow when I can add more water and start up the skimmer and return flow.

gallery_656_365_87254.jpg

Okay, I am really excited to get this started. I will keep you all posted.

I will start a new thread in the tank forum tomorrow hopefully!

:wig:

Edited by onux20