mogurnda's 90 gallon Indo-Pacific Reef

I will be traveling a lot over the next few months, which exponentially increases the chances of a tank crash. May as well post some pics, and maybe the original build as I get time.

Here is the tank as it looks right now (4/3/08). I won it in a WAMAS raffle almost 4 years ago, and it has been coming together in fits and starts ever since.

9810whole.jpg

Left end.

9822rightend.jpg

Right end.

9850right.jpg

Middle.

9894middle.jpg

The tanks is a 90 gallon reef-ready AGA tank, with a 20 gallon long D|IY sump.

Equipment:

Euro-Reef CS6-2 skimmer

Pan-World 100 PXX on a closed loop with Oceans Motions SuperSquirt

Two 250 watt metal halides (currently Ushio 10000K) on Reef Fanatic ballasts

Two 54 watt T5 actinics

Daveco (i.e., DIY) two chamber calcium reactor

16 gallon ATO tank and float valve

Other stuff as I remember it

For the livestock, I'll just post some pics:

Scribbled (doliatus) rabbitfish

0038rabbit.jpg

Blue ridge (Heliopora), green encrusting monti

9840blueridge.jpg

Red pocillopora

9765redpocillo.jpg

Purple-tipped Acro (really need to figure out names)

9846purpleacro.jpg

More to come.

I really like how you grew the Montis on the left. Very nice coral-scaping.

I wish I could say that was my intention, but they did the work.

I love the scribbled rabbitfish. Do you know if he's eating bubble algae?

It's a great fish, and has taken care of all the red turf algae in the tank. I haven't got any bubble algae (knock wood), so I don't know whether the fish would eat it. I would doubt it, since the rabbit seems to like cropping at fuzzy stuff.

Tank is looking great Dave!!!

:cheers:

Very beautiful tank Dave. If you run into problems while you are out of town, I will be glad to help out any way I can. I am in the Silver Spring Area quite often. :)

Thanks for the nice words, guys. I am lucky enough to have a WAMAS member down the street, but I may very well take you up on your offer at some point, Cliff.

More pix when Photobucket starts to behave again.

Very nice Dave. I love tanks where you have to look hard to see the liverock underneith. Too many corals in the way!

Thanks, James. I am too lazy to frag a lot of the time, so I now have a pretty good idea of what happens when different kinds of corals run into each other.

Beautiful!!!

I love that rabbitfish. I've added it to my prospective list of fish. Everything looks really healthy. Great job!

Thanks! I am very fond of rabbitfish. They are pretty, hardy, and eat algae ravenously.

A few more shots.

An end shot

9854endview.jpg

At one point, most of my SPS went from growing like weeds to growing slowly or not at all. Colonies stopped growing, then started receding, and ultimately a few even died. My Ca and alkalinity were good, I could not find signs of parasites like red bugs, changed lights and flow several times. . Tried more carbon to reduce the possibility of chemical warfare.

Then, in desperation, I tested strontium. The kit is an absolute PITA, but it showed very low levels, so I started dosing, little by little. Well, it worked. Over several weeks, all the SPS started growing quickly again.

I was too embarrassed to take a before shot, but the growing tips on this birdsnest were almost nonexistent, and you can still see the coralline on the parts that had died. Now you can see plenty of new growth, and it has increased visibly even in the week or so since this photo was taken.

9864birdnest.jpg

Then, in desperation, I tested strontium. The kit is an absolute PITA, but it showed very low levels, so I started dosing, little by little. Well, it worked. Over several weeks, all the SPS started growing quickly again.

Now, that's something I wouldn't have though of. Thanks for sharing Dave. Great tank you have there, congrats.

There was quite a bit of controversy about it several years ago. Sprung and Delbeek said it was the key to SPS growth in their first volume, then a famously cantankerous reefkeeping expert devoted a lot of energy to convincing people it was a poison. I was just running down the list of all possibilities I could think of, like a monkey at a typewriter.

That's very interesting re: strontium. How did you raise it, and what is your water change regimen and what salt brand do you use?

I use IO, and change 10 gallons every few weeks. My dosing regimen consists of a few teaspoons of SeaChem dry SrCl every few weeks. I would do the usual dose, test, adjust dosage, repeat cycle, but the salifert Sr test takes so long and is so finicky that I don't have time.

What confuses me is that the Ca reactor should be putting back as much Sr as the corals need, since the medium is made from coral skeletons. No idea why things got out of balance.

I use IO, and change 10 gallons every few weeks. My dosing regimen consists of a few teaspoons of SeaChem dry SrCl every few weeks. I would do the usual dose, test, adjust dosage, repeat cycle, but the salifert Sr test takes so long and is so finicky that I don't have time.

What confuses me is that the Ca reactor should be putting back as much Sr as the corals need, since the medium is made from coral skeletons. No idea why things got out of balance.

Great tank!! Beautiful corals!!!

I am also enjoying the thread and learning as I tag along. Very informative!

Thanks for sharing Dave.

I am starting to find some of the old photos of the build, so it's time for a trip down memory lane.

I went to WAMAS Symposium I, saw some interesting talks, and somehow came home with a 90 gallon tank and a blueline 250 watt ballast. Not a bad day. Of course, that's like getting the keys to a car and having to buy the rest. Premium Aquatics got a lot of money from me that summer.

Painting the back, leaving the overflow exposed.

tank_back_2509.jpg

The tank, with stand painted brown and original canopy. My old 20 nano is in the corner.

new_tank_2512.jpg

Filling the tank, adding sand, base rock and getting it cycling. Note the silica playsand.

sand_cloud_2565.jpg

Extending the canopy for halides.

canopy_mod_2616.jpg

Actinics on.

actinic_on_2639.jpg

Actinics plus 250 watt Iwasaki halides.

acthalide_2663.jpg

More as I find them, and find time.

Excellent Tank Dave, especially in person!! :)

Thanks, Howard. I still owe you a cold one when things settle down up here.

WHOA! Wait a minute. You used silica playsand and everything worked out great?

hmmmmmm.......

I also mix leather corals with SPS, run with scissors and drove a Pinto in college. And people say I'm boring.

The build continues.

The sump. It's a 20 long, with the input split to the skimmer and fuge sections so that I could control flow separately.

sump2.jpg

In place. It looks so clean! I have since replaced the floods on the fuge with a 65 watt LOA light.

sump_2761.jpg

The ATO float valve. Cheap and trouble free.

topoff_sump_2802.jpg

I also mix leather corals with SPS, run with scissors and drove a Pinto in college. And people say I'm boring.

Hehe, that kinda puts a damper on that sand debate eh ;) ? When I grow up (if I ever) I wanna be boring too :clap: