Sam's 75 Gallon Cuttlefish Tank

(edited)

I (well my dad) picked up my tank yesterday (Saturday June 14). Thanks to Tbittiner and all of those who helped my dad out. The tank is a 75 gallon 48x18x21tall glasscages rimless aquarium. There is a chip in the center of the edge of the front and bottom panels of glass. After a bit of an arguement, they gave me $100 off the tank ao that should hopefully pay for the majority of my soon to be, ridiculously overpriced YBeNormal stand :biggrin:. In all honesty, I will buy from glasscages again because of the pricing, but if there were any other company out there that did it for that cheap, I would not do so. The customer service was terrible, the panels on the tank are overlapping, the silicone job has much to be desired, and the overflow box is too big for the overflow. I would be absolutely furious if I got it for full price, but I got it for $100 off.

Any who, on to the tank. It has an overflow in the center of the back panel that is larger than I expected, which is my fault, but that means that I will have to adapt a bit. I no longer know how I am going to set up my rock due to this so am open to suggestions. I want it to be in two areas preferably with sand inbetween. I will have at least a 20 gallon sump, and at least another 30 gallons for a refugium, and I have been thinking about plumbing in a 40 gallon breeder for frags, and eventually (as in really eventually) I may convert it to an octopus tank. I should have around 150 gallons in the system all together, so plan on going with a skimmer rated for at least 250-300 gallons due to the excess waste of cephs. As for filtration, I was told to go with fluval, but I'm not really sure what to get...open to suggestions here.

Well here are the pics, more info to come later....

full tank

post-2631577-1213585697_thumb.jpg

chip

post-2631577-1213585954_thumb.jpg

oversized overflow box

post-2631577-1213586051_thumb.jpg

Edited by L8 2 RISE

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would of refused delivery:) Sam thats really tough luck I hope you can make the best of a bad situation.... I have never dealt with this company.... anyway hope your tank comes out how you pictured it!

One more thing I heard bad things about fluval filtration many people are selling their units sorry again about the tank!

(edited)

sorry it double posted!

Don't know whats the full value of the tank..... maybe it would of ended in a court case, but you can't now that its settled:( not a legal man, but if they promised a "new" tank they should of delivered a "new tank" Can I ask how much the tank was?... I can buy a used chipped tank for less then 100 dollars .... because you can't replace a chip I don't think.... anyway its entirly the businesses fault for sending a bad tank....If it was me, which its not, Sam I would tank test outside to make sure it holds water/ doesn't explode. If you have a deck or a porch thats not going to be damaged fill her up and then use the water to water the garden!.. anyway Sam I am VERY sorry but I know you will make a great display tank..... maybe you can even put a small over hang on your hoood? that will conceal the chip or maybe you don't mind that its chipped since you got a huge tank for 100$ off .... Just be thankful that it wasn't like some local pet store selling a razor edged baseball sized holed tank for 50$ hahahahah that post still makes me laugh!

Edited by gmubeach

I would of rejected it, just not worth the risk

there is a 90 day warranty, so I can send it back if it doesn't work, they offered to take the tank back and deliver a new one on July 12, but that was after they offered $100 off. originally the tank was $360, and money is probably the toughest thing for me right now, like really tough. The chip is at the BOTTOM of the front pannel, on the edge of the front and bottom panel of glass, so the stand should cover it. This is my first real tank, so even though it's not perfect, it's good enough with $100 off :).

The chip is at the BOTTOM of the front pannel, on the edge of the front and bottom panel of glass, so the stand should cover it. This is my first real tank, so even though it's not perfect, it's good enough with $100 off :).

I wouldn't be worried about covering it up as much as I would be worried about a potential tank failure.

I was actually really worried about that when my dad was speaking me on the phone, because I caouldn't go as I was at another activity. The only thing that convinced me was that TBittiner and others were saying it would be fine. Upon seeing it, I think it's fine as well, it is where there is double bracing on the inside, it doesn't cross over any seems and is only 1 cm deep at the center. I guess we'll just have to wait untill fill up day and I am really crossing my fingers :biggrin:

If you got paperwork with the tank just make sure it was QA'd prior to leaving the factory. I know this may sound silly but often times things get over looked. And when you buy a tank at Petco or Pet Smart they all have QA sticker on the inside with a number in case of tank failure there is some type of accountability. Also check your receipt double read and re-read the fine print. There might be a clasue in there stating a re-shelfing fee if you reject the tank due to high gas prices.

Im in aviation and I deal with aircraft parts on a daily basis that run from 5k up to 250k. Just recently I changed a power control acuator on the aircraft that part alone was 150k. If that part did no fixt the plane and I removed it and sent ot back to the warhouse they would charge a recert fee of up to 15% of the value of the part.

Often times you see an orange sticker on the bottom of the tank facing up so you can see it when looking down in to the tank prior to fill it up.

I was actually really worried about that when my dad was speaking me on the phone, because I caouldn't go as I was at another activity. The only thing that convinced me was that TBittiner and others were saying it would be fine. Upon seeing it, I think it's fine as well, it is where there is double bracing on the inside, it doesn't cross over any seems and is only 1 cm deep at the center. I guess we'll just have to wait untill fill up day and I am really crossing my fingers :biggrin:

I guess I am just a little more conservative, for a couple hundred bucks why risk it. At any rate it is a nice looking tank and I look forward to seeing it full.

Its simply bad customer service to deliver a chipped tank!

Dude it's the classic trick. They make you wait a long time, then when it finally gets delivered to you and there is minor damage they rather knock off a couple of bucks, because they know your not going to wait another two weeks for the truck to get back into town. Plus I bet there is a re-shelf fee if you reject the tank for chips. But in this case the chip was on the bottom of the tank and can be easily hidden. Now as for the seal job on the inside I agree with everyone else it be in your best interest to place water in the tank and let it sit over night in the porch. When I did heavy aircraft maintenance there were lots of shady guys who used sealant to there advantage and would place more than need to hide a hacked up sheetmetal job. Besides it will just strengthen your case if they go to talk trash when you return there product.

Anyway I would of returned the tank they promised a new tank they should deliver a new tank anyway sam keep us updated!

I was just over Dave Lin's, checking out his tank. Thanks a lot again by the way... Anyways, after some talking with him and some thinking, he suggested I go with a closed loop system due to the curiosity of cuttles. I think I agree with him, so what I think I plan on doing is doing a little bit of a mixture. In the overflow, there are two holes, so what I will do is use BOTH of those as overflows, not one as a return, one as an overflow. I will then have them leading to sumps, one of which will be a refugium with macro, deep sand, etc. the other with LR rubble and a skimmer. These will be on either side of the tank. They will then go to seperate pumps on either side of the tank that will feed into two holes on either side of the tank. I attached a sketch, what do you all think?

paint_tank_design.bmp

yep:) tank test it:) anyway how are the copods going to get into the tank I love davelins tank:)

I have no idea :why:. It won't be much of an issue as far as feeding goes as when they are that small, they will be in a net breader, in fact, they will be in a net breeder untill they are weened onto frozen food which will take about a month- 2 months. Any ideas on how to catch the pods though?...

Also, do you think my idea will work? I forgot to add that the filter will be on the sump as well.

(edited)

Heres the design with the 40 gallon breeder accounted for:

Tank_Design_Take_2.bmp

Please, Please, Please give me feedback, Is this going to work?

Sam, I've been at this for sometima and am still learning. I get nervous about multiple pump scenarios. Looking at your diagram with three pumps, i tried to imagine three scenarios (in each case, imagine one of the pump fails). For example, if the "Pump to 75 left" failed (shown in red), it seems to me that the 50 gal fuge would overflow as water from (1) the 40 gal breeder continues to drain into the 50 gal fuge and (2) as water from the 30 gal sump is returning to the 75 gal tank and overflows into the 50 gal fuge.

I suggest thing of scenarios where each pump fails or a combination of pump fails. ALso think about a total power failure. Finally, scenarios for maint that requiring a temp shut down of any component.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Can we hear from some of the plumbing gurus on this topic?

Steve

Edited by stevearlen

(edited)

Sam,

If I understand your picture correctly, it's not going to work. Eventually you are going to have a power failure or pump failure and your tanks will drain down to the level of the hole, overflowing your sump. Guaranteed.

You're much better off using the holes for a traditional closed loop, and generating most of your flow this way. This applies to both the display tank and the 40g breeder tank, which means you need two closed loop pumps. If your sumps are connected you can use a single return pump for the two of them; otherwise you need one pump per sump.

What's the 40g breeder for? If it's a refugium, then it needs to share water with the display tank if the goal is to help with nutrient absorption. Another reason for an interconnected sump.

Jon

Heres the design with the 40 gallon breeder accounted for:

Tank_Design_Take_2.bmp

Please, Please, Please give me feedback, Is this going to work?

Edited by Jon Lazar

The 40 breeder is just for random fish, frags, etc. I was planning on having it bare bottom with about a 12x12 inch square of egg crate on the left, then a gap and then a mound of live rock with some holes, etc. So that I can keep some normal fish and frags that won't be next nights dinner :biggrin:.

You guys are right about the whole overflow thing, I forgot to even think about failure scenerios.....

Oh well, I'm a teenager I'm Invincible, these things will never happen :biggrin:

Just kidding, it's time to go back to the drawing board.....

Thanks for the help

Sam,

The Spring Wamas meeting this past April had a speaker from Penn State named Sanjay. He gave an awesome talk on reef tank risk management and decision making with regard to equipment. It was my first meeting and an eye opener on mitigating risk (evaluating your set up for potential equipment failure was part of it too).

Does anyone know if Sanjay's April presentation is available for viewing?

If it is Sam, take some time to read it. He talks about keeping things simple as more complex models often have a greater opportunity for failure.

Best of luck with your new set up.

Maureen