Jon and Maureen's reef thread...finally

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY :clap: The thread's here!

I really like the tank from San Diego, Is the current tank what you have pictured? Or do you have corals and fish in it yet?

(edited)

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY :clap: The thread's here!

I really like the tank from San Diego, Is the current tank what you have pictured? Or do you have corals and fish in it yet?

Thanks very much Sam. This installment of our tank thread is sort of like Chapter 1. Jon has more text and pictures he's working on putting together and I'm sure he'll continue to post to bring the story up to date.

To answer your question, yes, there are corals and fish now in the display tank and more corals/frags in the 55 gallon, as well as fish in quarantine in hyposalinity.

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. I think this tank set up will be the most amazing we've ever had.

Edited by MLazar

Jon and Maureen,

I love your aquascaping. both the San Diego one and the new one. I too would love to hear about how you made the rock sit.

More pics! More pics! More pics! :clap: :clap: :clap:

very nice aquascaping I especially like the rock on the far rock it looks like a dragon's head that is turned to the left

Looking good guys.

I will be doing the whole aquascape thing this weekend, the whole tank will be emptied and redone in one day. I can feel the back pain now...

That is a beautiful tank! I love the bent corners. Excellent job with the aquascaping too! I too am curious how you got the rock to stay together like that.

When dryfitting the rock, protect the surface you're going to be stacking the rocks on. I used an old moving blanket under a clear shower curtain I saved the last time I replaced it. I didn't want the rocks to chip/break if they fell over, or damage the counter.

I used a left over piece of PVC and wrapped the edge of the shower curtain around it, the other side went over the open back splash piece. Cloths pins were used to close up the sides, creating a well that all the excess water collected into. It was pretty much mess free and when we were done I threw the plastic out in the trash. The blanket was thick enough to act like sand in holding the rocks stable.

I really enjoy the aquascaping part of the process.

• 1 month later...

WOW!!! That is truly a work of art! I can't get over the growth on your favia either. Everything looks so clean, happy, and healthy. Congrats for getting everything back up and running! I'm really impressed with the quality and appearence of the display. It's beautiful!

I see a TOTM in the making. :)

That is one clear tank and the lighting....colors....Outstanding Job