Ain't Doug cute?

mogurnda

Doug Arthur was kind enough to part with one of his firstborn clowns, and it has been named in his honor.

I lost my 8 year-old female clown last year, and had been putting off finding a new mate for the remaining clown until I was done with some other stuff. The pair had completely ignored the BTA I put in a few years ago, preferring some zoanthids and Anthelia.

Here's the old female in her bed.

9736clownsm.jpg

Within a few minutes of going into the tank, the resident clown had found him and enticed him down. Not too much later, Doug found the BTA, and they have been playing in the tentacles ever since.

clowns01933.jpg

clowns01952.jpg

I hope to get some better shots when I have some time to do it right.

Thanks Doug!

How fun! I bet your zoas miss the ol' girl...if I remember, wasn't she hosting in those?

Tracy

Hi Tracy! Actually, most of the zoas got buried by the engineer gobies and suffoctaed before I could rescue them. I love those fish, but they cause trouble.

and yes hes cute, and so tiny
Which Doug are you talking about now?

When I lost a clown and added a juvie, he was the one to find the anemone too, and the resident female followed.

I wonder if adding a juvie to an established tank helps them seek out/host in the anemone more quickly.... for protection from all of the "bully" fish.

Tracy

When I lost a clown and added a juvie, he was the one to find the anemone too, and the resident female followed.

I wonder if adding a juvie to an established tank helps them seek out/host in the anemone more quickly.... for protection from all of the "bully" fish.

Tracy

Same thing happened when I added little guy (now Doug's mate) with another older fish after its mate went carpet surfing. The previous pair did not use a host at all, but the new kid decided it liked the toadstool (see my avatar), and enticed the older fish into it. Eventually they decided they liked the zoas better.

My theory is that the newcomer looks at the tank with fresh eyes, and finds the coolest spot to hang out. In the wild, clowns don't move around once they've found a host, so they probably get more stodgy with age.

• 4 months later...
My theory is that the newcomer looks at the tank with fresh eyes, and finds the coolest spot to hang out. In the wild, clowns don't move around once they've found a host, so they probably get more stodgy with age.

I guess this is very true, I have an ~8year old pair of clowns that originailly came to me with a large carpet anenome. Well after a bunch of other fish went missing I had to part with the carpet. After a bit of time the clowns began to host some frilly mushrooms. Well recent I picked up a RBTA figuring they would look at it as an upgrade, but they still prefer the frilly mushroom even though its no where near the size of the RBTA. I'm going to see if I can move the mushroom and see if they find the RBTA a bit more attractive.