NYAquatics - Legit?

amay121

There were a couple of group buys with them a while back and the guy used to post a stock list, but nothing of late.

This is a good time to ask a LFS when considering an online purchase. You should ask at least what they can do for you

This post had me checking out their site. I dropped a line to the (assumed) proprieter to ask a few questions out of curiousity. I'm not looking for livestock now, but if I were, I'd probably go local and with someone I knew had a solid QT procedure in place. Anyway, here's our exchange (for what it's worth):

Me (10:52 AM):

Michael, can you tell me what "extensive disease prevention measures" NYAquatic takes with the livestock that it offers for resale? Your home page states, "We treat your fish the same way you do (except for our extensive disease prevention measures, see "policies" for details)" yet, when I look to your polices that have been posted, nothing at all is said on this topic. Thanks.

NYA (11:36 AM):

All our fish are given a formalyn dip upon arrival, and then held in copper until shipping.

This covers the major pathological concerns.

Any visible fungal/bacterial infections are treated accordingly.

Me: (11:40 AM):

Thanks, Mike. What is your average hold time before livestock is resold? I'm assuming that you have no formal quarantine procedures, is that correct? (Believe me, I understand that a QT hold would place an extra cost burden on you and would raise the cost of livestock. It would be very difficult to offer livestock at a low price and to maintain levels of segregated QT. I'm just trying to understand what your livestock goes through from the time it comes through your doors to the time it leaves.)

NYA (11:43 AM):

It varies depending on the fish.

Certainly at least a few days to make sure there are no issues from inbound shipping, and to get them eating.

Some fish (regal angels, for instance), may be a week or more depending on how quickly I can get them eating.

I will also be happy to tell you how long I've had a particular fish, but they have not been segregated.

New arrivals are continuously being introduced into the same systems.

Me: (11:46 AM):

Thank you. You've been very generous with your time and energy. Another quick question: Is your website up to date regarding your stock, or do you move so much volume that it's difficult to keep current? Somebody on the boards of our local aquarist group (WAMAS) posted a question about your firm (and we've done some group buys in the past with you) and brought it to my attention. That's the reason I began this dialogue.

NYA (11:53 AM):

Yes, it is up to date.

Orders are automatically deducted from inventory, and new arrivals are added to inventory.

As you can see, Mike was receptive and very responsive to my questions. They have no QT procedure, basically doing what they have to to get the fish in shape for a quick turnover (revive and resell) to the consumer. This, of course, puts the burden of survivability risk on the consumer, but you almost have to expect that with such low prices.