Ron's 120 Build

onux20

I just picked up a 120 the other day and want some advice on how to set it up. Nothing is concrete so comment on anything as often as you like.

The plan is to drill this tank for overflows and a closed loop.

Overflows will be 2 X 1.5in in each corner. Plumbed to a 55gal sump via 2

First off dont try and rush anything. When you go to buy something make sure its enough for your set up. If i were you i would go over sized on the skimmer, and really take your time picking out your lights. Its the really costly equipment you want to choose correctly.

First off dont try and rush anything. When you go to buy something make sure its enough for your set up. If i were you i would go over sized on the skimmer, and really take your time picking out your lights. Its the really costly equipment you want to choose correctly.

Why go oversize on a skimmer? A bigger skimmer can't pull out more gunk than an appropriately sized skimmer. Skimmers don't need to be costly either. An ASM G2 will be sufficient for a 120 and it costs far less than Euro-reefs, Deltecs, etc. It also will outperform either of those.

As far as lights go, get a MH/T5 combination and you'll be able to grow anything.

Why go oversize on a skimmer? A bigger skimmer can't pull out more gunk than an appropriately sized skimmer. Skimmers don't need to be costly either. An ASM G2 will be sufficient for a 120 and it costs far less than Euro-reefs, Deltecs, etc. It also will outperform either of those.

As far as lights go, get a MH/T5 combination and you'll be able to grow anything.

Zygote...its nice that you have moved from "skimmerless" to "appropriately sized"! :clap: :lol2:

Not rushing in to anything here. Just trying to get some opinions from the experts. Best case scenario is Sept/Oct ish.

Lights: leaning toward the Outer Orbit 2X250 with 4 X54 T5's. But also considering 2 X 250 lumenarc stealth

Skimmer: Leaning toward the SWC 250 or the ASM G-3

Thanks for looking and the comments.

Ron

Good luck with this new project :)

I recommend the G3. Mine has been a great skimmer and it would be sized right for your display and frag tank tied to a common sump.

I got mine at fishnreef.com

Zygote...its nice that you have moved from "skimmerless" to "appropriately sized"! :clap: :lol2:

Not rushing in to anything here. Just trying to get some opinions from the experts. Best case scenario is Sept/Oct ish.

Lights: leaning toward the Outer Orbit 2X250 with 4 X54 T5's. But also considering 2 X 250 lumenarc stealth

Skimmer: Leaning toward the SWC 250 or the ASM G-3

Thanks for looking and the comments.

Ron

I am using the the current lighting system on the 265 Gal. It has 3 X 250 MH, 8 X 39 w T-5. The reason i say go over sized on the skimmer is if you ever want to go bigger you have what you need. I am running the Octopus ( SWC ) with the 3000 pump. It does a very nice job. I think what you are considering are good choices. That is just my opinion. I'm not a salty water expert but i have played as one on T.V. :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I hope everyone is enjoying the day off. I have two questions.

1. Does anyone know the correct size drill bit I would need to drill two 1.5

Johnny at BRK has them. Plus he can give you all the advice you need about drilling it yourself. It's not hard to do, you just need to go slow. Go out and see John and his staff and they can help you out.

I hope everyone is enjoying the day off. I have two questions.

1. Does anyone know the correct size drill bit I would need to drill two 1.5

Were do you plan to drill the tank as in were to do you plan to place the holes?

I recently finished setting up a 120 in my house the tank has one corner over flow box.

I plan to put one in each corner on the back panel.

Ron

Johnny at BRK has them. Plus he can give you all the advice you need about drilling it yourself. It's not hard to do, you just need to go slow. Go out and see John and his staff and they can help you out.

that was my original plan, but as I was looking a the site the bit sizes dont seem to match the bulkheads...unless I am reading it wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Just drilled my 1.5in overflows!! WHOO HOOO... They are a little off line but I think they will work just fine! It was far easier than I expected.

Ron

Just drilled my 1.5in overflows!! WHOO HOOO... They are a little off line but I think they will work just fine! It was far easier than I expected.

Ron

Woots! Congratz! After the 1st or 2nd hole, you'll be itching to drill out more tanks.

Pics please.

• 2 months later...

As I get closer to the day I can begin putting up the 120. I have another question for WAMAS.

Can I put the tank on a carpeted floor, shim it level, and feel comfortable the weight of the rock and water will be fine?

Ron

As I get closer to the day I can begin putting up the 120. I have another question for WAMAS.

Can I put the tank on a carpeted floor, shim it level, and feel comfortable the weight of the rock and water will be fine?

Ron

How thick is the carpeting and/or padding? If it's relatively thin and the subfloor is level, over time, the weight of the tank and water alone will naturally mat and level out the carpet it sits on. I've had a 120 reef set up on a carpeted living room with concrete subfloor for years with no stability issues.

If the subfloor is level, shimming may not be necessary.

(edited)
How thick is the carpeting and/or padding? If it's relatively thin and the subfloor is level, over time, the weight of the tank and water alone will naturally mat and level out the carpet it sits on. I've had a 120 reef set up on a carpeted living room with concrete subfloor for years with no stability issues.

If the subfloor is level, shimming may not be necessary.

I am putting the tank in the basement but i am sure the floor aint level that woudl be too easy. I am most worried about the shims holding up. Can I swing by sometime?

Ron

Edited by onux20

• 2 weeks later...

Something I did not think about until now...

Can a standard 55 gal glass tank survive a 2" hole? I am using a Dart as a return pump and a glass 55 for the sump. Is this a recipe for disaster?

I already have a 1.5" diamond bit, can I drill that then step it up to 2" for the input to the Dart?

Will that half inch really matter?

Opinions please.

Ron

I drilled the bottom of my 40 breeder for a 2 inch bulk head and so far no problems but I haven't filled it up yet but definitely don't currently see any problems. Fingers crossed I guess. ;)

Something I did not think about until now...

Can a standard 55 gal glass tank survive a 2" hole? I am using a Dart as a return pump and a glass 55 for the sump. Is this a recipe for disaster?

I already have a 1.5" diamond bit, can I drill that then step it up to 2" for the input to the Dart?

Will that half inch really matter?

Opinions please.

Ron

Okay, I think I am going to do a 1.5" bulkhead and step it up to the 2" input for the Dart. Now I just need to drill the tank and buy the plumbing.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice.