Non-menber selling whole system

Grav

I met a guy at Marine Scene today, he was brining live rock back.

He is breaking down his 90 system. It's just equipment, no fish and the LR went to MS. I told him about WAMAS being a place where he could sell the system without having to pay $ to list it in the paper. Of course I tried to talk him out of quitting, but it was too late... tank is cleaned up and waiting for a new owner.

90g tank in very good shape, single corner "round" over flow

20 g sump with a skimmer, didn't check brand. He said it was rated for a 125g tank.

2*250w MH one bulb brand new the other with some use

Additional blue bulb sumplement, not sure NO, HO or VHO

Good looking DIY stand and hood.

3 Assorted pumps 2 for skimmer one return

Assorted random other stuff.

I tried to buy the Ballasts from him, but . My $0.02 is that everything was in good shape.

He is asking $700 OBO for the whole setup he wants to move the whole thing in one shot. I made an offer for the Ballast that stands if somone can convince him to part it out.

Call Brett Nunn at 703 929 3165

or email bnunn33366@aol.com

This is everything I know. If you want to ask me something about what I remember from the tank, I'd be happy to answer, but I don't wanna play middle man. If yer interested contact him directly.

Phil

-----------------------------------------

System info, price and contact info updated 5/23

Guest alex wlazlak

what is the demensions on the stand?and would it be the same as a 130 tall,i think its like 48"x24"..i think, if it is p.m. me and ill get more info.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest alex wlazlak

i saw a nice tank, stand, and hood for $600 at this local pet shop. i like it alot, but only got $200...:( but i think im gonna most likly end up getting that..its got a big ol' overflow built in the middle, and its beautiful! exactly what i was looking for, and almost cried;)...but yeah..wheres the update?.could you post the link?

WHAT LINK? His email address and phone # are in the top post.

Personally I think you should get your current tank right before thinking about another one. I'd say if you can't go 6 months without killing anything you shouldn't be thinking about another tank. Further $200 won't buy you a 20gal tank with "the goods" but you keep asking and I know he is selling...

Look, either call him or send him an email I still don't want to be the middle man.

Guest alex wlazlak

like rite now it seems to be doing fine. medium-semi high nitrates, which is why i mainly change the water, but now i know it replemishes good stuff in the water i tryd to do some changes, but the amnoina gets F***ed up and even if i do 3 gallons it gets high and fish die :angry: :huh:. so i dont really change water too much because of that reason. i dont stir up the sand or anything, but behind my rocks there is a bunch of waste......and if i syphoned that out would the amonia get screwed up?i usually only syphond from the top of the water or middle of the tank, and only water.so if i suck out the **** and waste do you think it'll spike the amonia again?i use spring water to replace water..

Guest ScubaTodd
like rite now it seems to be doing fine. medium-semi high nitrates, which is why i mainly change the water, but now i know it replemishes good stuff in the water i tryd to do some changes, but the amnoina gets F***ed up and even if i do 3 gallons it gets high and fish die :angry:  :huh:. so i dont really change water too much because of that reason. i dont stir up the sand or anything, but behind my rocks there is a bunch of waste......and if i syphoned that out would the amonia get screwed up?i usually only syphond from the top of the water or middle of the tank, and only water.so if i suck out the **** and waste do you think it'll spike the amonia again?i use spring water to replace water..

32376[/snapback]

water changes should have nothing to do with raising amonia. you likely have something dying in your tank or a lousy test kit. or you might be changing far too much water and restarting the cycle. i'd say spend your 200$ on working on your current tank... buy ro/di water instead of spring, and buy a few books. doesnt sound like your ready for 75-90 gallons.

Guest alex wlazlak

people say like the bigger the tank, the easyer.i can see how that is true, but it is also more expensive(and way more pleasing!). my plan is:buy the tank,stand,canopy,filter, and sump.i already have a 48" light which would work for a while until i start to get corals and whatever else needs more lighting.probly leave it set up for atleast around 5 months, maybe get some softies if its going well.and i'd HAVE to do water changes everyother week(10 gallons).run the skimmer all the time.then get a new light, most likly the orbit MH PC combo.but rite now, i dont do any water changes or anything i need too. i dont run skimmer cause i dont have a sump, and it bubbles too much in the tank.i dont do water changes because ammonia kill off fish (so it cant be lame test kits) and tests say its high..what books do you recomend?i have a red sea book, and a "the conscientious marine aquarist"- its a pretty good one.

From what I have seen on your posts, I think you would be well served by getting a book that highlights a specific approach to setting up a reef tank.

I'm partial to Tullock's The Natural Reef Aquarium for set up type questions. I like Borneman's Aquarium Corals and Calfo's Book of Coral Propagation for info on the selection and care of specific corals.

You say that you get ammonia spikes when you do a water change. What is your source for water? Have you tested the incoming water for ammonia? Do you have an RO filter for your incoming water? If not, my next purchase would definitely be an RO filter. You can't fix your water chemistry if you are adding dirty water to the system in your changes. Just a thought.

Guest ScubaTodd
] i dont run skimmer cause i dont have a sump, and it bubbles too much in the tank.i dont do water changes because ammonia kill off fish (so it cant be lame test kits) and tests say its high..

Theres no problems with bubbles returning into your tank, other than aesthetic ones. Since your fish are drying, i'd say suck it up. Bubbles become much less of an issue with time and so long as you keep your hands out of the tank, and don't and certain additives. My remora took about 2 months to stop flooing my display with micro bubbles, but by now they're all but gone.

Properly done water changes will not cause ammonia spikes.

Sounds like you've maybe rushed things. Just sit back, make sure your salinty is right, keep the fish outa the tank, and just let it be for a month or so, skimmer running 24/7. Then add one small fish, go very slow. Buy an RO/DI with your 200$.

Though not required, it is also best to let your newly-mixed saltwater sit for about 24 hours before doing your water change.

Ditto on the skimmer - let it run and do its thing. The benefits of skimming far outweigh any disadvantages...

Cheers

Mike

Guest alex wlazlak

i ONLY moved around some of my rocks and gave a few to my friend, and now my ammonia is all screwed up.the fish are breathing rapidly, and im afraid they'll die :angry: .if they do, i feel like throwing the f***ing thing out my darn window!be ready to catch it..;)

Guest ScubaTodd

please do a search on cycling a marine aquairum.. if you had high ammonia after you moved the rocks, you had high ammonia before you moved the rocks. You probably stressed the fish out moving the rocks around. leave your tank alone, don't feed the fish too much or consider selling them to an LFS until you can get your tank together.

Guest alex wlazlak

i only give them a little pich of food everyday when i get back from school.i tested the water a few days before i messed with it, and it was at zero.thats why i want to get a new tank and just start all over.its like a waster of time and money to just keep screwing around with the tank anymore.

Guest Siders

Just let the tank cycle. If you continue to move rocks and screw with stuff it will only make it worse. Let the skimmer run all day and all night. I just added one and my water clarity improve amazingly and nitrates have dropped considerably. DON'T ADD ANY MORE LIVESTOCK wait until the tank has run for a month or more and while that is going on research some fish you want and see which one is hardiest. Put that fish in at a small size and you shouldn't have any problems if you pick a healthy specimen. I went through the same deal but we all have to start somewhere. Finally don't be discouraged. It just takes time. You rush the process and you get a cess pool of dieing fish and corals in your house. So just take a breather. Sell off the fish and corals. And spend some bucks on an RO/DI unit. They work wonders for your water quality. HTH.

Siders