Let it snow!

OUsnakebyte

Well, Sunday night I came home to find my tank very cloudy and 'stuff' kicked up into the water column. First thing I thought was that a powerhead had fallen and sand was everywhere. However, upon closer inspection, I noticed that the 'sand' was nicely spherical in shape and slightly larger than my sand. Plus, a few of the fish were feasting on the 'sand.'

EGGS!!! WOO HOO!

Then, I needed to figure out what did it - the large derasa clam (that I didn't think was of spawning size) or the carpet anemone (S. haddoni).

So, I stood there for a few minutes and voila! Here come hundreds more eggs pouring out of the anem's oral disc - and I mean hundreds (thousands?). There were already tons in the water column at this point.

Anyway, the entire episode lasted another 10 - 15 minutes. Then, I started to quell my excitement only to realize in horror that, "OMG! Is everything going to die?!?! Bleach? RTN...?" The yellow tang was acting kinda funny - pacing quite a bit and easily spooked - not normal for this particular fish. The blue tang was normal, and the pair of GSM clowns were feasting as fast as they could, I'm sure wondering why they were brought this big bonanza.

Anyway, I quickly cleaned out my skimmer in anticipation of it going bonkers, and I had a very restless night Sunday night/Monday morning.

Well, it is now Tuesday, and all is well. I guess it was just a little nutritional snack for the fish/corals.

I toyed around with the idea of collecting some of the eggs and saving them, but then I thought, "What in the he!! amd I going to do with these?" So, I didn't.

I did snap a few pics, but unfortunately, my digital camera is shot, so I had to use my girlfriend's, which I am not that familiar with. I'll transfer them from her cam to see how they turned out and post them when I get some time.

Cheers

Mike

Hundreds of carpets might be worse than aiptaisia!

When I had a LTA do that, my fish were hanging out IN the tentacles having a snack (or just inhaling, getting high on anemone sperm). For some reason it did not sting while it was spawning.

124IMG_0108s1.JPG

Okay - got the pics. But first, a few disclaimers....

1) The tank is new - as in I upgraded when I moved apartments a few weeks ago from my 75 to this 120. So, some corals are still not placed (ie the acro and the torch in front of the carpet).

2) This is my gf's camera, so I apologize for the quailty of these pics, but it is all I could do (especially on such short notice).

Anyway, here they are:

carpetspawning1.jpg

carpetspawning6.jpg

On this one (number 3), if you look hard (and really want to see it...), you can actually see the eggs coming out of the oral disc.

carpetspawning5.jpg

Here are some shots of the whole tank. You can see the small dots (eggs) and how milky the water was....

tankcloudy1.jpg

tankcloudy2.jpg

tankcloudy3.jpg

tankcloudy4.jpg

But, all is well now! No deaths or anything. Must have been a nice snack for the fish/corals. Again, I'm not done arranging corals (see disclaimer above), but I hope to have things 'finalized' (are they ever...?) soon.

Cheers

Mike

Guest alex wlazlak

that thing is enormous! what do you feed it and how long have you had it for? also, how big is it?

Astounding!!

That flies in the face of needing a mature tank for this kind of think to happen. Do you think that something occured the precious day and this was stress-induced?

Congratulations, Papa!

Anemone spawn aside, that's a gorgeous tank!  You have some really impressive colonies in there.  Which one is the hispida?

43715[/snapback]

Yeah I saw his tank and his g/f's tank a few weeks ago and they are both very nice. He has some HUGE sps colonies! Hey when can I come and get some more frags?

Carpets will split? Never knew that. Is there a mature approx size?

44304[/snapback]

From what I understand, it's a budding, rather than a division of the oral disc (like in E. quads).

I don't know about approximate size...??? I'll see if I can find the article I read.

Cheers

Mike