Sales or trade section?

Norboo

(edited)

So...how many current active paid members?

Edited by Norboo

So...how many current active paid members?

So what you're asking is what is the size of the audience you get for the $$$?

#1 - critique LFS

#2 - ask the size of the audience

And you're NOT a vendor of some sort?

(edited)
So what you're asking is what is the size of the audience you get for the $$$?

#1 - critique LFS

#2 - ask the size of the audience

And you're NOT a vendor of some sort?

52331[/snapback]

Is this off the wall question? Do you join any membership or clubs without knowing what you are getting into? To answer your question, I am NOT a vendor of some sort, nor am I a LFS or related to any such.

"So what you're asking is what is the size of the audience you get for the $$$?"

Audience for my $$$? It's only $25. I already know I am the 758th member and I am still the newest member. Which means, there are 758 register members and about half have been inactive for over a year. I am willing to bet there are approximately 100 (give or take 20) active paid members today.

I was interested in purchasing frags and equipments. I really don't have anything to sell. If I did, I would go to Craigslist first.

Let me guess, suspicion is your first nature? *sound of buzzard* that's 3 for 3 ErikS.

I was referred here by someone on Reef Central. He told me you guys were bunch of nice guys interested in the same hobby as I am and that I might enjoy meeting some of the members.

I am a reef hobbyist that belongs to many reef forums as a supporter not sponsor. I was interested in joining. But man, what a turn off.

Forget I asked. I'll just lurk around here till I get booted. :D

Edited by Norboo

Can't we all just get along? :D

Yeah, right it would be me :lol:

Based on comments like this I assume you're well aware you're making some antagonistic posts -

I know I will get lots of "hate" PM's, but I think they should know where they stand

Sorry, but I've never seen anyone aside from a vendor ask the size of an audience when questioning membership levels...why else would it matter?

And if that offends, well just read my tag line :lol:

What is it with you and audience?

Why else would I ask? Do you join a country club without knowing how many member there are? If I asked, does that make me a vendor?

When you enroll your kids into a new school system, have you every asked how many students to a teacher? Are you asking for audience or because you are a vendor?

How many pounds of live rock do you carry under your hat? rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif

Just to clarify. If you found out about us from RC, then you are used to the flame fest that that board can generate at times. Most of us on here also participate/have participated on RC. In general the discussions on these boards are very candid and honest. We try very hard to not have the BB/DSB type slugfests. We do not get the volume of "trolls" that appear on RC, but we do get them. When any new member begins posting there is always that lingering question: "Is this legit, or is this person a troll?" I have participated in many message boards related to this hobby and others. That is the norm that I have found on most of them. When you make statements that you expect to get flamed for a post, that raises the suspicion that you are used to getting flamed on other boards. We don't know you, you don't know us. Give it some time. These boards are vey collegial and friendly as a whole. You just managed to tickle a few "troll sensors" with some of your comments. I read what you wrote and you make valid points, but your tone comes across rather harshly. It is very difficult in a pure text based medium to always get both the meaning and the tone of what you are saying correct. I also know that EricS is one that tends to speak his mind and can come across very harshly as well. But, I have read enough of what he has written to know that he is not one to jump into a BBS fight for the sake of fighting. He usually has very valid points and is not afraid to share them. I nor anyone else here has that type of context with your posts to make that determination, therefore you get judged by the "default" behavior. When judged against that default your posts do raise suspicions. Most likely we are being overly cautious, but our caution is borne from our experience. Keep posting, ask questions, come to the meeting on the 25th. Many posters, myself included, stepped on a few toes and wrinkled a few noses with our posts before people got to know us and know our posting style.

This is my 21st post. Check around to see what else I've posted. I do understand the dynamics of forums. I had no trouble with Reef Central and many others (which I suppot) including most golf, scuba diving, running and just for fun forums.

Read few pages before judging the cover.

People, please. Is this something either of you should really get so crazed about. I think you both should go to your fish tank rooms and take a deep breath. Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

First I'd like to thank BB for putting it much more eloquently than I.

I also know that EricS is one that tends to speak his mind and can come across very harshly as well.

Yep, designated a-h, I used to have some tact but I lost it somewhere :lol:

........but.........

That's because I'm generally laughing as I don't take BBS talk very seriously, as my tag line says "it's just an opinion....." - I learned a long time ago that getting annoyed or taking it seriously was just a waste of time.

But be realistic - you ask about a sales corner & then the next question is about the number members? This doesn't sound the slightest bit "iffy" to you?

Bad analogy w/ the country club - I only care about the total number of allowed members as that will determine my access to the facilities. The number of present members isn't that important (how much could my access be limited VS how much it is at present). Any club will fill to capacity if they can, basing a decision on the number of current members wouldn't be/wasn't on the list of criteria. A hobby club has no such upper limits & doesn't limit your access to anything = would only apply to how many people can I sell to.

"methinks thou doth protest too much" springs to mind, but I've been wrong before (& stepped up with an apology too).

(edited)
I actually read all of them, the jury's still out.

52364[/snapback]

good to know that you are my judge, jury and executioner. :P

when does the lynching begin?

Edited by Norboo

WHOA GENTLEMEN!!!!!

Where did this go bad???

Nooboo,

Sorry to see your getting off to the wrong foot here, but I'm sure if you look further than this UNFORTUNATE intro to our group, you'll find that this is a great organization to belong too! I can understand how you mistook Eric's reply as setting the table for a negative reply, but I'm sure if you spend more time like you have, you will find an awesome group of folks to have fun with, learn from, pickup some great tip and items in our For Sale/Trade section, upcoming Winter Meeting and more!

Please be aware that both of you seem to takes this to an area that neither originally wanted to go too OR should have! But I and many more are here to support your needs to the group and that it will be a benefit to all!

Please take a breathe and consider attending our upcoming event, member or not, I will take care of your entrance fee and I'm sure you will see that this IS an organization that you want to join!!!

Sincerely

Howard

ALL - TAKE NOTICE OF THE RULES (BELOW) THIS IS WHAT YOU AGREED TO WHEN YOU JOINED THE FORUMS ON WAMAS. WAMAS WILL TAKE ACTION DEEMED APPROPRIATE IF NECESSARY.

CONSIDER THIS A WARNING TO ALL PARTIES. ANY MORE FLAMING FROM ANYONE & THIS TOPIC WILL BE CLOSED!

The simple question of if there is a for sale section was answered - in the member section.

Forum Terms & Rules

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Welcome aboard NorBoo-

I would hope you'd join in the fun-

I came to WAMAS becuase I needed to find out where the best LFS were, where other folks did simple things like exchange sand and macro- and to ask questions face to face on this great hobby of mixed reef keeping.

Hope to meet you at the upcomming members meeting on the 25th- Great opportunity to share and grin and greet- and esp exchange a few frags- Check it out and join at the meeting if you wish.

The club will save you pleanty of dollars in exchanges, group buys, DIY projects and info to keep you from heading down the wrong path.

Regards,

Thanks for all the warm welcomes.  :)

52458[/snapback]

Welcome from me as well! Fellow new member here, I just joined a few weeks ago, and am loving it. Just from my short time here, I've found a lot of good information, and help with my setup questions, and equipment from forum members (Thanks William and Don!) so far, and continue to expect that in the future.

Just to toss in about the effectiveness of the sale/trade section, as that seems to have gotten lost. The stuff you need is out there, not as much in terms of quantity as RC, but personally, with something like this, I'd much rather see it beforehand, and meet a fellow hobbyist... plus you never know what unexpected offers or deals might come up from meeting someone in person rather than an anonymous internet deal... for example, I got a lighting setup from a member last night, and he was kind enough to offer me some LS to seed my bed when I was ready for it, without any kind of inquiry on my part.

I've found thus far, especially if you're looking for something specific, if you don't see it in the FS/FT, post a WTB/Looking thread. Many people have stuff laying around they have forgotten about until they read that someone needs it.

Again, Norboo, welcome, and I hope to see you on the 25th!