Ultra Quiet Panworld Mod

dandy7200

Thought I would share :biggrin: . It was pointed out to me that I needed to post this here as well. :blush:

Well my 50 px was just to loud. I took off the fan shroud first and that made a huge difference. If this tank was in the living room or family room I think my mod would have stopped there. Just by taking the black piece off the back it cut the noise by at least half.

Alas the tank is in my office and I am trying to acheive the silent tank so next I took the fan off completely. This made the pump run at barely audible.

132247191_f5adda098a_o.jpg

Great but, I think the fan is supposed to be there for something right? Well just for kicks I ran the pump for 4 hours fanless to see how hot it would get. It was hot but much, much less than the equivelent Velosity T-2 and quieter to boot. After 4 hours it took my tank temperature up by 2 degrees (90 gallons total water). I run central air in a pretty new house so the ambient air does not change.

I decided that the heat gain was worth the trade off for the noise but, don't really want to fry the pump so I bought this.

132247192_6c2c80289a_o.jpg

This is a pretty hardcore P4 chipset heatsink and fan.

Put a hole in the heatsink.

132247543_703eaec27b_o.jpg

The metal fins were really hot from the heat transfer as I drilled through the solid copper core, so I believe this will work good.

Strapped her on.

132247195_8a68fb3987_o.jpg

Hooked up the fan rated at .2 amps 35cfm and only 22db.

132247196_fd0ee70dc1_o.jpg

Fired the system up and guess what?

1. Silence.

2. Tank temperature DROPPED 2 degrees from when the original fan was bolted on.

3. Never would have guessed but the pump starting pushing more! I would say around 100 gph. I guess the motor didn't have to turn the clunky fan any more so it has more umph for turning water. I only noticed because I have my return line restricted for testing the Herbie Overfow on the tank.

A few months of discussion about this mod can be found here.

I'm the one who suggested he share this idea on these boards. For those interested, check out the full thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...t=pan+world+mod.

Woops! I posted before I realized that Dandy had already provided that link. Anyway, this is a GREAT mod! Easy to do and it makes a huge difference in terms of sound reduction.

Jason: The fan/heat sink combo runs approx $20. You will also need a DC adaptor to run your fan, if you don't have one already. As for the cost of a pump, do a search for Pan World or Blueline pumps -- they are the same thing. I got a PanWorld 100 PX-X (same as Blueline 40HD-X) for about $160. Runs my CL.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw this thread. What a great idea.

can you post a link to where you got that specific fan.

If you do this to a velocity/poseidon pump you have an awesome pump. totally silent and now it wont add heat to the water.

Jonathan, follow the link in the first post to the thread on RC and you can find the fan I used as well as links to fans others have tried. I am also waiting to install a new fan as well that pushes higher cfm at a lower db, and toying around with removing the heatsink to allow just the air to cool the pump. I have to wait until my new lighting system is fully functional for a few weeks so I can get a baseline on the temp. The original point of this mod was to reduce sound but, so many more are interested in cooling benefits, even if it only be 1-2 degrees so, this time I want to document that aspect as well. Also there check with a guy namen Hahnmeister on RC, he was working on a differant way to cool the Poisiden pumps that sounded pretty promising since noise is not really the issue with those.

Dan

• 1 month later...

I just did this mod to my 150PS the difference in noise is very noticeable and it was an easy mod to do.

I noticed the increase in flow too. I had to redirect the outputs of my closed loop because of the increase in flow was enough to kick up my sand.

I got my fan and heat sink out of an old PC I had laying around and the power supply was from an old cell phone charger. It works great and didn't cost me anything.

Dave,

Or anyone else for that matter. I have a few extra heat sinks and computer fans laying around so if anyone wants one send me a PM and I'll give one to you.

Edited by cbashaw

Funny you just brought this back up. I modded the mod yesterday....

I used a cutoff from a 3" pvc coupling, tapped a couple 1/4 - 20 bolts, glued (upgraded to a 120mm) new fan on and viola!

314242523_98f0a071a2.jpg

314242524_8c577f7af9.jpg

My tank temperature has dropped a full degree in 1 hour . The fan is large enough to blow not only on the back but, down the sides as well. The pump feels cool to the touch, really not even warm. That is unusual for this pump to say the least.

Now the downside, this is not as quiet as the previous way but, still queter than stock.

Dan

That's good to hear. I may eventually try that. It looks better too. I think I can get some old server fans from work that would work for that.

I might have to try this after xmas for my iwaki 100.

It doesn't seem to be pushing the water it did 10 or 11 years ago.

I just took it apart and really cleaned it but that didn't seem to change it's out put.

There was some question about enough cooling for the front bearing but Dan's new mod seems to return to pushing air along the whole pump body again. Good job!

This is probably a dumb question, but how do you get the fan off? I took off the housing and the C clip, and it didn't budge. No sign of a set screw. What am I doing wrong?

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I tried this for a good 30 minutes or so, still I had no success. Does the fan screw on? I tried tapping it gentally with a screwdriver a knife,l anything. I got the c clip off easy as cake, but that fan doesn't want to come off.

aaaaaaaaagggggggggggh! 12:45 AM success, after reading dans RC thread I got a little more guts to take more force to the fan and finally got it off. Here's the tally

2: Box knife blades broken

1: Putty Kife, bent beyond repair

1: Jewlers Slot screwdriver, bent beyond repair

It took a fairly big slot screwdriver, crossed fingers, and closed eyes... but I got it. :biggrin: