agarg 210 tank upgrade

bshriver

Brett, its prob the media that has some mag in it.

Hey Don! How are things? I need to check out your latest thread.

Yes, it is my assumption that the new media is keeping the mag up. I got the media with a used reactor. It is GenX CRM. I have never used it before. It must have a lot of Mag in it because I used to dose a ton of Randy's mag supplement every day just to keep it at 1300~1400 (both systems). Now my mag is up around 1600 and it won't come down without dosing. The same thing happened in the 110/66 system when I switched it over to the Gen-X media!

I used zeo mag in CA reactors before and it did not seem to keep mag levels up at all.

I also got some zeo mag like stuff with this media, but I did not put it in both reactors, yet both reactors started maintaining Mag after I switched to the GenX media.

I thikn my coral skeltons are a little stronger now as well. Perhaps due to more strontium in the media?

Lookin Good.

Ron

Thanks Ron! Our new group buy corals should find a spot in there somewhere after a month in QT :) I might put the scroll coral in the 110 though. It's lights are not quite as intense.

Coming down the home stretch here for equipment. I added one of the final pieces - a custom fuge (NAGA) under the stand. Under the tank is now full and, note that behind the tank is too :)

Only remaining things may be a phosphate reactor and ozone eventually. Or an LED light for the fuge, which you then be followed by a frag rack or two of course :) But for now my 66 gallon frag tank has plenty of room - now that I got all of the colonies out of it into this tank anyway :)

Pics:

Fuge

60760d07.jpg

511444e6.jpg

Behind the tank:

8983343d.jpg

68d7af64.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Brett

Looks good Brett, Couple of questions about the fuge. I assume you are having a pump feed it and just letting it flow back out into the sump? Are you planning on adding any sand to it. I just got some more different macro algaes in, so I can give you some to add to the fuge. What light are you lighting this with? Looks neat and something I may want to add to my sump, so I can have a display fuge with pipefish.

I may add a DSB or a container in it as a DSB. My 110 system fuge has a DSB as does the 110 display. The display DSB is 3.5 years ol now and going strong.

This tank I went with a shallow sb so I may still add a DSB to the fuge.

Flow is super simple. In the second picture you can see the drain hose from the display in the back right corner. It drains straight down into the fuge. There are two 1.5 inch bulkhead drains that gravity feed to the sump.

Lighting is on te cheap too. Two clamp on flood lamps from home depot. The bulbs are 120w equivalent 5.5k pc flood lamp bulbs from home depot for $7 each. Par at the chaeto is around 120. Plenty for chaeto to grow well. If I ever add a frag rack to the fuge I will add LED lights.

• 5 months later...

Well the female balck clown seemed to die of old age. She was around 6 years old. I had a normal morph ocelaris pair as well that was six years old and lost that female too. Is that how long the females live?

Anyway, I decided to put the two males together in the 210 and see what happens. They seemed to have paired right away. Pics in a sec.

62ffc425.jpg

483c1c98.jpg

Chalice row

658e78bb.jpg

2eaeecca.jpg

• 2 months later...

So a friend came by with a DSLR and got a few decent pics. Better than my iPhone anyway :)

I messed with the return and stirred up a bunch of debris. Plus the tank is just getting over its first small bout with cyno (old lights, bad pump - both fixed), but there are some good shots despite my tank :)

Note, the leather is recovering from some major recent fraggage :)

A few FTS with fish in various spots. Followed by a bunch of random coral/fish shots.

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0083.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0093.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! Now if I can just can a water change regimen greater than once every 6 months, my SPS growth might take off again :)

I have no real plans for any more livestock. I may add a couple more lyretail anthias and some smaller fish like a clown or lemon goby. I have an emperor juvenile in my 110 gallon seeing if he will eat coral or not. So far so good. I have never had trouble with angels eating coral - so far I have had long term luck with a coral beauty, a flame angel and a grey poma angel. Now I have had the emperor for a month or so. If he works out, I may get rid of the sailfin tang and move the emperor up. I suspect I will be pushing the bio load as it is with the 5 tangs that are still growing so adding an emperor on top of that may be too much.

I think one of the lumenbright reflectors on this system came from you, but I have trouble remembering everybody I get stuff from :)

I got a rebel T1I DSLR camera for xmas. Here are a few shots I took playing around with it the first day. The first is the best but I am not sure why the purple color shows up on the edge of color transitions. Perhaps a camera buff can fill me in on what I am doing wrong. All of my shots with the white balance setting I was using tended to mix some purple in on the blue tang and my blue devils.

IMG_6866.jpg

IMG_6867.jpg

IMG_6881.jpg

The view from my favorite chair

IMG_6908.jpg

and some other random ones

IMG_6846.jpg

IMG_6879.jpg

IMG_6816.jpg

IMG_6878.jpg

IMG_6895.jpg

IMG_6901.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Well, I had the camera out today and took some snaps of my fish in my 110. My son cleaned up the glass so you could actually see in :) It is turning into the worlds biggest tube worm farm.

Anyway, some of my favorite fish are in it.

But first, some old flourescence shots from a few years back. A guy who studies flourescence in corals came to a CMAS meeting a while back and sold glasses and blue flashlights? Well I used them to take these shots.

openbrain.jpg

ricordia.jpg

mazebrainflourescent.jpg

Now the fish and inverts from the 110

IMG_7041-1.jpg

IMG_7096.jpg

IMG_7099.jpg

IMG_7100.jpg

IMG_7121.jpg

IMG_7128.jpg

Edited by bshriver

(edited)

Get this hermit off my back!!

IMG_7302.jpg

IMG_7309.jpg

IMG_7326.jpg

IMG_7326.jpg

Peek a boo - I broke off a bunch of the tube snails and he got covered with some of the slime.

IMG_7339.jpg

And two shots from my 210

IMG_7398.jpg

The leather is starting to heal from the free fragfest from a few weeks back. I owe people some PMs for the next one.

IMG_7414.jpg

Edited by bshriver

• 10 months later...

Thanks! I have not taken any pics in a while - at least not any good ones. I got a new Canon 100MM Macro lens too, so I have no good excuse.

Both the 210 and 110 are plugging along as well as possible given the lack of TLC this past year. The fish are all doing well as is the coral at the moment. My 210 got a little out of whack over the summer when the CA reactor ran out of media. I lost a few pieces before I had time to replace probes and refresh the media.

Maybe over XMas I will have time to clean it up and take some new pics.

I am building a nice LED fixture for the 110 (the tank with the powder blue and the emperor angel in it). It is alomst complete.

The emperor angel will eventually move to the 210 if he continues to eb coral friendly.

Thanks for looking!

• 2 months later...

A fellow reefer took some awesome shots

6636732387_cd6a66be13_z.jpg

6636725709_ef58931f66_z.jpg

6636721667_db4fb5d2d5_z.jpg

6636740341_f41502e64b_z.jpg

6636727715_9ee66663f5_z.jpg

6636714259_24d1e850f1_z.jpg

6636710687_eefb6591ca_z.jpg

These were all shot with a Nikon D7000 and a Tamron 90mm Macro Lens. Coral shots are on-tripod with a remote shutter, and the Fish shots are in-hand. More specific details about each shot (aperture, shutter, ISO) are available on Flickr under actions > view Exif Info if you are interested.

Thanks! The next task is to move the emperor angle into the 210 from the 110. So far he has been a model citizen. I just need to make sure the 210 can handle the bio-load.

I am thinking of turning an old calcium reactor into a recirculating bio-pellet reactor that allows you to control the flow through the unit while keeping the pellets tumbling. LMK if anyone has any experience doing this!