More on the Lightning Maroon Clownfish

Brian Ward

Such a shame they have to mate it with another "nooooooooooooooormal" clown. Then again, I do not know if this is one of those freak things, that even mating two of them may or may not produce that type of off-spring.

Hi! My name is David Vosseler and I'm the Director of the PNG SEASMART Program. The is my first post in a forum at this Post. I am interested if there are any questions you all might have about the SEASMART Program that myself or someone from the team can answer.

I too enjoyed watching the video of the PNG Lightning Maroon Clownfish, again and again. Matt Pedersen's doing a great job with the little ambassador.

Thanks,

David

Hi David, welcome. Okay, I will be the first brave soul to ask the first question, crazy or not.

Are the lightning clowns too hard (yes I also know expensive) to get another for a mate? Which leads to the second question. Would two lightning clowns have a better % of lightning clown off spring or the same as one lightning and one regular clown?

Thanks

Hi David, welcome. Okay, I will be the first brave soul to ask the first question, crazy or not.

Are the lightning clowns too hard (yes I also know expensive) to get another for a mate? Which leads to the second question. Would two lightning clowns have a better % of lightning clown off spring or the same as one lightning and one regular clown?

Thanks

Thank you Chris for the welcome.

This is only the second one we've found in two years (although I seem to remember another albeit less dynamic looking specimen also being caught from the same area early on in the program). Although it is from the same reef area as the first and we hope to find more in the future, it is definitely a very rare variant. We're not sure what is the cause of it's unusual markings (genetic, enivirnmental) although it's rarity speaks somewhat to its ability or inability of this variant to compete in its native ecosystem (and breed true). Hopefully Matt will be successful in breeding this particular animal and we will be able to find another that we will be able to use for our own breeding purposes. We look forward to the future exchange PNG genetic material. It just could be that the best "ecosystem" for this particular variant will be the tanks of breeders and hobbyists in the trade.

David

Having seen at least one other bodes well for the chances of having some 'lightning' babies. A good, successful breeding program might produce thousands from a single pair - without natural predators to winnow the numbers. And if this variety is scarce in the wild because it attracts predators - then our marine aquariums would be a great place for it to succeed!

Following with interest!

bob