forrealb50's 60 gallon LED cube build!

After a little over a week my Solana 60 gallon cube arrived today via freight! The ecoxotic panorama led fixture arrived last week. The build officially started tonight.

Tank: 60 Gallon Solana XL Cube

Lighting: Ecoxotic Panorama LED Fixture 24"

Sump: Solana Sump

Skimmer and Fuge: CPR Large Combo

ATO: AGA w/ 10gal reservoir

Livestock: Everything from my established 55gal

Today consisted mostly of unpacking and inspecting all the parts. I was able to setup the stand and get the cube in place. I also installed the sump, plumbing, return pump, and return line. Tomorrow I will install the return flex outlets and possibly install the light fixture over the tank. I plan on completing the entire build/move by the end of the weekend. Here are a few quick shots of the tank and where it's going to sit in the living room. This is my new view from the couch.

If you have no plans this weekend, I've got a lot to do!

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

Edited by forrealb50

More progress over the last two days....

Made sure the tank was level before installing the lighting and adding water

IMG_0359.jpg

Lots of random stuff all waiting to be installed

IMG_0361.jpg

I even got the wife to help. I couldn't believe it!

IMG_0362.jpg

Finishing up the overflow

IMG_0363.jpg

Bulkheads tightened up

IMG_0365.jpg

Hooked up the sump and finished all the basic plumbing! Ready for water!

IMG_0369.jpg

We have water and Lights!

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

I ran out of water and waiting for my brute trash can to fill back up. I'm hoping to have the tank full over freshwater, running by the end of tomorrow and letting it run for 12 hours before mixing in salt.

Edited by forrealb50

Also made a big decision. I'm going bare bottom!

That's what she said. Seriously, that's cool though. I want my next tank to be like that. Once it has coralline it will be nice and colorful, no dirty sand.

I knew that was coming. The bare bottoms do look a little weird at first.

Are you going to take steps to keep the rocks from sliding on the glass? I was thinking when I go bb that I would use superglue gel on the bottom of the rocks that touch the glass. You won't be able to reaquascape them that easily, but if you take your time the first time it shouldn't be a problem. Anything you can do to prevent falling rock, and to have peace of mind (which is most important to me above all else).

Are you going to take steps to keep the rocks from sliding on the glass? I was thinking when I go bb that I would use superglue gel on the bottom of the rocks that touch the glass. You won't be able to reaquascape them that easily, but if you take your time the first time it shouldn't be a problem. Anything you can do to prevent falling rock, and to have peace of mind (which is most important to me above all else).

I'm building one large tower with multiple branches sticking out from it. Everything is going to be supported by a large base rock that has flat bottom. It's about the size of a basket ball cut in half.

It looks nice! I love the potential that I see in every tank at this stage!

Mind running through an equipment list?

It looks nice! I love the potential that I see in every tank at this stage!

Mind running through an equipment list?

Tank: 60 Gallon Solana XL Cube

Lighting: Ecoxotic Panorama LED Fixture 24"

Sump: Solana Sump w/ media tray

Skimmer/Fuge: CPR HOB Large Combo

ATO: AGA w/ 10gal reservoir

Livestock: Everything from my established 55gal

Controller: AC Jr. w/ DC8

I think that is everything. I might be missing one or two small things but that's the meat of the project.

That is a nice looking setup. I like bare bottom tanks as the viewing glass seems to get scratched less easily. It is great that the wife is helping. Now you just need to get her to clean the skimmer cup and you will have it made.

I was going to try to stick with the 1000gph return pump with the 4 return lines. If it's not enough, I'll end up using a K4 and maybe a MJ1200 as a temp solution.

It is my understanding you want like 10x to 15x an hour (guesstimated of course) through your sump with a total of 50x +/- in tank. Any additional flow in the tank should be through the use of a wavemaker/powerhead. Do some google/forum searches, as their are many opinions. However, most agree that not all flow should be coming from the return from the sump. Food for thought.

Edited by BowieReefer84

It is my understanding you want like 10x to 15x an hour (guesstimated of course) through your sump with a total of 50x +/- in tank. Any additional flow in the tank should be through the use of a wavemaker/powerhead. Do some google/forum searches, as their are many opinions. However, most agree that not all flow should be coming from the return from the sump. Food for thought.

If it's not enought I'm pretty sure I can hide a K4 before the rockwork.

Right now with the return pump I would be looking at 14X/hr per gallon (1000gph / 70gallons)

If I add the K4 that would bump me up around 30X/hr per gallon (2200gph / 70gallons)

Either way I should be good I just don't want the K4 powerhead visible.

If it's not enought I'm pretty sure I can hide a K4 before the rockwork.

Right now with the return pump I would be looking at 14X/hr per gallon (1000gph / 70gallons)

If I add the K4 that would bump me up around 30X/hr per gallon (2200gph / 70gallons)

Either way I should be good I just don't want the K4 powerhead visible.

Yea, you have this really well planned it seems.

Have you thought about the tunze rock?

http://www.marinedepot.com/Tunze_Turbelle_Stream_Deco_Rock_Accessories_for_Aquarium_Powerheads-Tunze-TZ1551-FIPHAC-vi.html

Tank is pretty much done now. Might need to tweak a few thinkg but enjoy the pics!

Tank full over water and ready to go...

IMG_0393.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

Pulled all the corals out of the old tank

IMG_0395.jpg

Last FTS of the old tank

IMG_0396.jpg

Rocks waiting for aquascapping

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

Last corals going in

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

I just realized I'm missing my lawnmower blenny. He was there just the other day and I didn't take him out of the old tank and he wasn't on the floor. Either he found some hole somewhere to hind in and is still hiding or died within the last 24 hours by coincidence.