Want better top-down pics?

ctenophore

This little lens housing mounts directly to your SLR camera's lens barrel, allowing you to dip the lens underwater and get nice top-down shots without wavy distortions or light bulb reflections. Unlike traditional top-down boxes which are usually bulky and hold the entire camera, this one spins with the lens allowing easy zoom/manual focus.

lenshousing_md.png

Features a machined texture on the outer barrel for firm grip, plus a protective ring to help keep the acrylic lens from scratching when the housing+camera is set face-down. Three simple thumbscrews lock the housing to most any SLR lens in seconds (housing has 4" inner diameter). It may even hold some smaller point-n-shoot cameras too.

More details here:

http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/avastbuilt/Top-Down-Porthole

I picked one up from Avast the other day and the quality is top notch. It a beautiful piece of work. I do not know where you could get one this nice for that kind of price.

Thanks again Justin. It will be put to good use.

Looks good...Now make one with a mirror at 45deg so I can shoot top down without pulling my hood off.

Like a periscope on it's side? Hummm, that would be an interesting miter joint. I might have to do this just to see if it would work.

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Ben, it is 3-3/8" long overall, 2-3/4" from top rim to inside acrylic lens.

Thank you for the info. Do you have anyone that is longer than that?

Like a periscope on it's side?

I don't think he wants it on it's side but basically a reverse periscope, one that looks down into the tank while the camera lens remains looking horizontal over the tank.

Thank you for the info. Do you have anyone that is longer than that?

We will try to make some double-length ones for external zoom macro lenses this week.

I don't think he wants it on it's side but basically a reverse periscope, one that looks down into the tank while the camera lens remains looking horizontal over the tank.

Yeah, that's what I assumed, poor terminology on my part.

Do you guys have a store for pick up or is everything over the internet?

cheers,

Darren

Just over the internet. I am fairly easy to meet up with if you want to stop by though. We share the receiving address with Dan's restaurant although I do all shipping from my place.

Looks good...Now make one with a mirror at 45deg so I can shoot top down without pulling my hood off.

I made one simply for viewing a bunch of years ago.

I found it was better to make the mirror have a little adjustment via a small lever so it was easier to view.

I have contemplated the mirror, too. If you guys do it, I actually think that a stationary mirror might be a good idea. I was going to build mine with a simple PVC 90 and cut it at a 45 degree angle and attach the mirror there. There's a lot of acrylic mirrors out there that would make it a very easy project.

Neat idea to affix it to the lens. I was thinking of trying to make a housing that actually was able to hold the entire camera instead as I often end up dipping the housing itself a little too low and getting water into it, have you contemplated a wider version with a camera mount inside?