arsenic's BioCube 29

CaptainRon

After not having a tank setup for something like 6 or 7 years, I finally have something again. Bought an Oceanic BioCube from BRK a few weeks ago and promptly set it up with water and rock from my Dad's system. I do have a nice small crop of hair algae going on right now, but I backed off on the lighting a little bit, added some clean up crew and the hair is slowly getting trimmed. So what I thought I'd do is post some of my first progress photos.

100_0030.JPG

I'm wet! Rock is stuff from my Dad's sytem. The two larger pieces in the back were either old dry pieces or from the sump. I can't remember already! The stuff with coraline is from his main dispaly tank that we had just taken down for a move. The water is also from his tank but this was all I could fit in my car the first day.

100_0034.JPG

A nice dramatic top down view!

100_0035.JPG

Tried to do some aquascaping and added the sand. I used 20 pounds of CaribSea Arag-Alive.

100_0037.JPG

All Clear!

100_0038.JPG

And what it looks like now. All the corals are from my Dad's tank too. Several of them are from this past summer's Fragfest!

Edited by Coral Hind
title changed

There was nothing of a cycle since I used old tank water and rock from an existing system. I tested amonia and nitrite every couple days for a couple weeks and nothing ever showed up. So about two weeks.

Now that the fish have been in there for a week, there was still no measurable increase in amonia and nitrite (tested with Salifert kits). Both of them eat like pigs when I put food in the tank! So far I've been feeding Hikari Spirulina/brine (one a week), Rods Food (Red) (couple days a week), Hikari Mysis Shrimp (couple days a week) and Cyclop-eeze (one or twice a week). My frozen food is going to last forever - I'll feed a quarter to a third of a cube each day I feed. It just depends on how small I'm successful at cutting small :)

I started my first reef tank with a typical 75 gallon in November of 1996 with about a ton of live rock and sand from Tampa Bay Saltwater. That was back before they did the aquaculter thing. The rock he sold back then was DENSE! Still have it all but it's just been stored in rubbermaid containers for years. The rock in this tank is Fiji rock from Roozens that we got back in about 1997 or so.

I've never been very good at aquascaping as evidenced above. I might have to try swapping out some pieces and do something a little different.

IMG_1010.JPG

Side shot of the tank from the right.

IMG_0993.JPG

Happy resident.

IMG_0997.JPG

My Coral Beauty (Centropyge bispinosa)

IMG_1009.JPG

He's a ham for the camera.

IMG_0994.JPG

Hydnophora

• 2 months later...
(edited)

Changed the rock around a little bit. Got rid of the big rock on the right and replaced it with the two smaller pieces from the front and two additional smaller pieces. I've always had troubles aquascaping but don't think this looks too bad. My two fish in there are doing well still. Well, three actually but the yellow watchman goby does a good job at staying hidden, espcially when the camera is around! The algae isn't taking over TOO much. Still could use more water movement I think. Going to try adding another powerhead. Can't wait to get an MP10 in there.

IMG_1031.JPG

IMG_1050_crop.jpg

IMG_1042_crop.jpg

Edited by arsenic

A koralia would be a good idea. Was hoping to go straight to a Vortech but that'll be a little more down the road so the koralia might be just the ticket. I probably feed a little too heavy too.

Right now the purchase list consists of something for more watermovement and some type of protein skimmer. Not sure what I want to do for a skimmer yet. If anything.

(edited)

Maybe try the new bio media in a mini reactor, see avastmarine.com insider sources say they may have a mini media reactor coming out that may be small enough to fit in a back chamber of a larger nano tank, and you won't have to tune the darn thing like a skimmer.

Come to the build party this week end in Va.

Edited by jason the filter freak