WAMAS Fish Rescue Saturday 2/26- Volunteers needed!

DaveS

All,

Here is an opportunity for the WAMAS community to really show what we are about!

I met a guy who's wife passed away a few weeks ago from cancer. She had 2-3 FOWLR tanks, a fresh water Cichild tank and 3 more largish empty tanks. The husband is now left with disposing of her estate and he knows very little about caring for the fish. He wants to donate them to WAMAS so we can hopefully place the tanks and livestock in schools. I have been coordinating with the WAMAS officers and we have found homes for much of the livestock.

So, Saturday we will be conducting a WAMAS Fish Rescue. We need volunteers and some trucks to help break down the tanks, take out the livestock, transport to new homes and possibly house some of the livestock. Pizza and beverages will be available for volunteers. The location of the tanks is just off the Beltway in Berwyn Heights, MD. The stuff will be going to NoVa and anywhere else that people offer up. As part of this donation effort, some items are being given to WAMAS to sell with proceeds to be used to further the WAMAS mission.

I know if may be a little short notice but please volunteer for this good cause if you can!

Thanks.

We're moving both livestock and tanks/equip for a 92 and 55 system and emptying out the livestock and contents of a 265.

We could use alll the help we can get!

Me too! So far it's:

DaveS

Brian Ward

Hilary

Anyone else???

I wish I could. I used to live in that neighborhood, but I have cub scout pack leader training all day.... It's nice that the husband is donating the tanks, too bad it's under such sad circumstances.

I wish I could. I used to live in that neighborhood, but I have cub scout pack leader training all day.... It's nice that the husband is donating the tanks, too bad it's under such sad circumstances.

Yeah, it's very unfortunate. But we need to think of the good we can make of it.

I will try to make it! Just tell me where!

I'll help too, I have a truck, although it's only an s10 , if that helps.

Excellent! I'll add you to the list and make sure to PM you with address soon.

Very glad to see WAMAS members stepping up to help someone. I knew this group wasn't just all about group buys and frag selling. It's good that we can take our collective energy and knowledge to help others out.

Dave,you might also want to think about stuff we should bring to help transport.

I have a few 5 gallon buckets(some with lids), a 20 gallon brute, and a bunch of those cheap storage totes.

Yes good call. He's got plenty of salt so I think we would be looking at draining much of the tank, putting livestock into 5g buckets and then mixing up new saltwater at the destination. We may need the 20g brute for some of the larger animals. We can also use the buckets for the live sand and other things.

I have 4-5 buckets, siphon hoses, and a mag. I think the following would be good if people can bring:

More 5g buckets, with lids preferably

Longish garden hose to drain water

Anything else???

One more bump to see if anyone else wants to help. We have a decent number of people helping so it shouldn't be too bad and could even be fun and educational!

What a tiring but fulfilling day! At 10:30 today the WAMAS Fish Rescue Team arrived at the house ready to work. Those able to make it were:

Coral Hind

FearTheTerps

Brian Ward

Hilary

Me

Sherry (President of Potomac Valley Aquarium Society)

It seemed like quite a daunting task but once we got down to it, it wasn't bad. We did however start to find more tanks and equipment as we got into it. Everywhere we looked there was stuff! In the basement, in the storage shed, under a tarp! When it was all said and done we ended up with:

92 Corner tank with all livestock hanging out a Chip's (Thanks!) and going to Floris Elem.

75 Freshwater African Cichlid tank and all livestock going to a battered women's shelter (via PVAS)

55G to be sold with proceeds going to WAMAS

29G to be sold with proceeds going to WAMAS

265G broken down with livestock going to school tanks

125G sold for owner

3 SUVs full of equipment and supplies!

In all it was a very productive day! We got to help a very nice man clear out a lot of stuff he otherwise wouldn't know how to deal with. In the process of helping him, we now have two public places which will be able to share our passion. Lastly, we will be able to generate additional funds so we can continue to further the WAMAS mission. I'll trade in a day on the couch in front of the TV for that (once in a while). :tongue:

Here's a couple of pics, I'll leave it to others to add theirs.

Huge tang in the 265. Note the extra large Mag-Float size for comparison.

IMG_20110226_115912.jpg

Brian and FearTheTerps helping to break down the 265

IMG_20110226_131442.jpg

Big tang about to go in temp home.

IMG_20110226_162205.jpg

JUST WALKED IN THE DOOR!!!!!!! FINALLY

Great day, very happy to help out, It turned out very well for everyone. I just hope I dont pass out before I acclimate the corals I picked up today after moving the tanks.

Oh, and three SUVs? Try four SUVs and two (three?) pickup trucks!

I have to say, I am so sorry that I never got a chance to meet the lady who kept these tanks. She was obviously passionate about the hobby, and hopefully would be happy with where the critters she cared so much about ended up. I'm so glad that the clubs could help out, and am reminded that there are folks out there who may not be a member but who enjoy their tanks just as much as we do.

JUST WALKED IN THE DOOR!!!!!!! FINALLY

Great day, very happy to help out, It turned out very well for everyone. I just hope I dont pass out before I acclimate the corals I picked up today after moving the tanks.

Thanks for making the long drive down to help us out. Too bad you didn't have time to swing by my place to grab those free corals.