Sump is cracked, need help

beatle

In preparation to give away my GSM that has been hanging out in my sump for the past month, I went to check on her this afternoon. I noticed there was a large crack in the front of the 40g breeder I'm using as a sump. The outside is wet along the crack. I've attempted to put silicone on the crack to keep it at bay, but I need to replace it ASAP.

I cannot get the sump out of the front of my stand, it will have to come out the back, and the tank will have to move away from the wall. I'm guessing I'll need to drain the water out of everything to have any hope of moving the tank.

Any other advice?

I'm guessing this is a 4' tank? I'd drain it almost all the way vs riskign structual stress to the upper tank. Your coral should be fine for a bit, like high tide or fragging time, just try not to stir the tank too much when replacing the water

I got in a similar situation back in the day. I ended up draining the sump to put tons of silicon on crack glass inside and outside of the tank. Like a lot.

I did attempted to drained my 90g tank on top 3/4 of the way to move it but it was way too heavy still because all the sand/rocks...

I think the crisis is over for now. I drained the sump and display into a couple 55g drums until the display was about 1/3 full, and slid the tank away from the wall. I emptied the refugium's DSB and pulled the sump out the back of the stand. I actually had a spare 40g breeder lying around that I hadn't sold yet, so I am back in business, at least for now. I'm strongly considering cutting a few holes in my floor or possibly running pipes through the wall into the basement. The tank is relatively new, so hopefully I won't have a mini cycle.