It's working!!!

Chad

Just sharing a taste of my jubilation... more to come :)

(this is my WORKING LED controller with graphic display, although the LED array is not yet wired in)

gallery_2632346_867_503028.jpg

Very cool, Chad. Whose controller board are you using? Also, who makes the display? Did the controller board come with a software development kit?

I am using an arduino mega micro computer, the display is a no-name Chinese 64x128 graphic LCD display that I was lucky to find something that resembled a datasheet for (purchased on ebay... long story, but blue GLCDs this size are not as easy to find as I thought they would be) that is based on that is built on a KS0108 (common interface chip). Neither the controller nor the display came with a software development kit, although it is open source and can be found online. After the coding battle I went through on this one (I am capable, but not adept at programming), I was ecstatic to get it doing what I want. All of my originally desired functionlity with the exception of temperature - which I nixed - is working well, I am looking forward to seeing how it looks over my tank :)

Fun project.

Guest thefishman65

Very nice indeed. I like the seahorse - how many hours did that take :).

:) Thanks all!

Making the image actually wasn't that bad, I found a program based on the "processing" language that converts .bmp files to .h files the C based controller can use. I just took a picture that I had taken, really ramped up on the contrast, saved it as a two color bitmap, ran it through the processing program and voilla!

I have a handful of images that I used for this project, the one in the picture above is my "startup image" (I later added some text along the lines of "Light Controller by Chad V 1.1." Also, the number you see is a countdown number that the image is visible for). Some of the other images include various dipictions of sun position and a night-time moon position.

When I get the whole fixture put together, I will do a build thread showing some of the high points.

• 2 months later...

:) Thanks all!

Making the image actually wasn't that bad, I found a program based on the "processing" language that converts .bmp files to .h files the C based controller can use. I just took a picture that I had taken, really ramped up on the contrast, saved it as a two color bitmap, ran it through the processing program and voilla!

I have a handful of images that I used for this project, the one in the picture above is my "startup image" (I later added some text along the lines of "Light Controller by Chad V 1.1." Also, the number you see is a countdown number that the image is visible for). Some of the other images include various dipictions of sun position and a night-time moon position.

When I get the whole fixture put together, I will do a build thread showing some of the high points.

Just curious any updates on this?

It is coming along well, I will post an update soon :ph34r: