Maureen & Jon's 34g RSM 130D

We picked up our tank and stand at BRK and started putting things together today. So far we're very pleased with the all-in-one design both for appearance and functionality. Everything is well thought out and there's plenty of attention to the little details. And we really like how clean and finished it looks, since it's in our main living space.

Today we assembled the stand, put all the tank equipment in place, and rinsed and added the sand. Tomorrow we add water and do some aquascaping.

2627398230042290226S500x500Q85.jpg

2747130050042290226S500x500Q85.jpg

2942910910042290226S500x500Q85.jpg

2485087440042290226S500x500Q85.jpg

Edited by Jon Lazar

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our 120 has a lot of SPS, and our LPS hasn't done as well as in previous tank set ups. My initial thought is to focus on zoas, palys, acans, rhodactis mushrooms,a brain, and a small clam, but I tend to fall for anything really pretty and reserve the right to change my mind. I don't want the tank to look like a smaller version of the 120.

Following Sam's (L82RISE) lead, I want to keep it "Small World" scale and will be stocking fish that usually get lost in a larger tank. I have 3 beautiful Bartlett Anthias from BRK hanging out in the frag tank right now that are doing really well. I would also like a pair of clown fish, a wrasse, a pair of neon gobies, a shrimp and goby pair for sure. Considering getting a banded pipe fish as I'm fascinated by Roni's, but need to do more research.

We're trying to set up the tank AND get our daughter ready to move on campus this coming week, so our attention is split, but hoping to get aqua-scaping done (one of my favorite parts, although time consuming, of setting up a new tank) and get the water cycling.

Maureen

Roni - how often, what, and how much are you feeding your banded pipe fish?

Since I'm going to be feeding the anthias frequently anyhow, I'm hopeful a pipe fish might thrive.

Maureen

Today we went rummaging through the refugium and found plenty of rock choices to assemble the reef structure, complete with some sort of encrusting yellow sponge and lots of teeny feather dusters. We left some real estate so there will be room for colonies to grow and develop at the top of the arch, as well as some mushroom or zoanthid rocks at the base of the structure.

2262909870042290226S500x500Q85.jpg

2336536780042290226S500x500Q85.jpg

Looks nice!

I should have looked closer at the couple John was talking to when I was at BRK the other morning, I think I saw y'all (it was around 11am or so)! I saw the Red sea max loaded up on a cart and thought there was a lucky new owner :)

Roni - how often, what, and how much are you feeding your banded pipe fish?

Since I'm going to be feeding the anthias frequently anyhow, I'm hopeful a pipe fish might thrive.

Maureen

hikari mysis, 2-3 times per day from 6-9 (when I'm home), not a whole lot. I think if it's eating mysis, a pipefish will do fine. If not, it's too small a tank.

Looks nice!

I should have looked closer at the couple John was talking to when I was at BRK the other morning, I think I saw y'all (it was around 11am or so)! I saw the Red sea max loaded up on a cart and thought there was a lucky new owner :)

Chad, that was us! Sorry to have missed an opportunity to meet you in person!

M

hikari mysis, 2-3 times per day from 6-9 (when I'm home), not a whole lot. I think if it's eating mysis, a pipefish will do fine. If not, it's too small a tank.

Roni, Do you think a 34 is too small? Thought about putting one in the 120, but the flow is pretty high.

M

Great rock work! I am thinking of redoing my aqua-scaping and was wondering what did you use to hold the rocks together?

thanks

Jack

Jack,

It is an epoxy that will initially show gray (you can see it on the left rock formation near the bottom left "foot"). That is actually only 2 rocks adhered together with a small rock sitting on the sand in the lower right. The rocks on the left are 2 larger rocks sitting on top of one another and they have expoxy between them. The top arch is not adhered yet, may tweak placement slightly. I'll ask Jon to post the exact name of the epoxy product if you're interested.

Thanks!

Maureen

Roni, Do you think a 34 is too small? Thought about putting one in the 120, but the flow is pretty high.

M

Maureen,

I think for a banded it's a little small. I think a blue stripe would do well in there. Remember that the banded was fine in my 180 with about 12000 GPH of maximum flow.

roni

Maureen,

I think for a banded it's a little small. I think a blue stripe would do well in there. Remember that the banded was fine in my 180 with about 12000 GPH of maximum flow.

roni

Did some research Roni and it is indeed a beautiful fish. Recommended for a 40 gallon tank or larger, and won't get along with a wrasse, (other fish are aggressive towards it as well, but the wrasse was the only fish on my list). It might be worth the trade off if there's enough real estate for one. Thanks for the tip!

M

http://fishindex.blogspot.com/2009/07/bluestripe-pipefish-doryrhamphus.html

Edited by MLazar

No plans for an additional powerhead at this time, we want to see how the two that are built in perform over time.

Right now tracking evaporation (working on a top off solution), temperature, ammonia.

Jon also added an earlier Aquacontroller model to the tank last night.

Thanks all for the nice comments about the scape!

M

Maureen,

thanks for the info. Please do ask Jon regarding the type of epoxy product that he used for the aquascape. I used to buy some epoxy (called "Aqumend" I think) from Home Depot couple years ago, but they are no longer carry them.

thanks

Jack

Jack,

It is an epoxy that will initially show gray (you can see it on the left rock formation near the bottom left "foot"). That is actually only 2 rocks adhered together with a small rock sitting on the sand in the lower right. The rocks on the left are 2 larger rocks sitting on top of one another and they have expoxy between them. The top arch is not adhered yet, may tweak placement slightly. I'll ask Jon to post the exact name of the epoxy product if you're interested.

Thanks!

Maureen

Very excited to see your progress. I am a fan of the Red Sea Max setups (have a 250). Make sure you have an auto top off system to keep the skimmer working well.

Very excited to see your progress. I am a fan of the Red Sea Max setups (have a 250). Make sure you have an auto top off system to keep the skimmer working well.

Thank you! Would love to hear/read about your 250, is it in the Dedicated Tank forum? What did you devise for your ATO? Our RSM is a floor above the 120 and its support systems - RODI, refugium, water containers, etc.

Tracking water loss am and pm, it is significant enough that we're paying close attention. Hope to have something in place this weekend, just want to make sure the design is "fail-safe", the wood floors are only a couple of years old!

Maureen

Found your link, tank looks awesome!

M

Thank you! Would love to hear/read about your 250, is it in the Dedicated Tank forum? What did you devise for your ATO? Our RSM is a floor above the 120 and its support systems - RODI, refugium, water containers, etc.

Tracking water loss am and pm, it is significant enough that we're paying close attention. Hope to have something in place this weekend, just want to make sure the design is "fail-safe", the wood floors are only a couple of years old!

Maureen

I have got the JBJ ATO. It was a great price and works well. That and new bulbs are the only additions to the stock tank. I see you found the site. I haven't updated it in ages. Here are relatively more recent pics of the tank: http://ideserveabonus.com/.

Some easy corals going in today! Great project for a rainy afternoon. Shopping in the 120g and placing aquisitions from Tony,

Bob and BRK!