Tank stock list/Compatiblity

SunWyrm

I'm combining my 75 & 90 soon (slow and ongoing process, sorry for lack of updates on my build thread) into a 360 with 180 display fuge and have some fish/inverts/stuff that I'm concerned over.

I have tanks everywhere so no one will be homeless if things don't work out but I'd like people's opinions on compatibility.

So far my plans for the 360 are:

Two bar Rabbitfish pair

BW&picasso clown pair

Red Firefish pair

Cleaner wrasse

Mandarin pair

Lawnmower pair (im concerned I have two females [separate tanks now] as they get quite round quite often)

Flasher wrasse trio (anyone know where I can get some females?)

Coral beauty angel pair

Falco hawkfish pair

Scarlet Skunk Cleaner shrimp pair

Harlequin Shrimp pair

2 rbta's

2 derasa clams

1 maxima clam

mainly LPS/softies with some sps.

2 conchs

tiny nassarius snails

banded trochus snails

porcelain crabs

180:

snowflake eel

Those that i'm not sure where to put yet -

Tomato clown female(ish) - thinking of keeping her with the eel but I'm concerned over keeping the pod population safe that way.

Snowflake clown - considering pairing her up then tossing them on the other side of the 360. 8' of territory should be good right? lol

Second carpenter male - Where I ordered sent me all 3 males :/ not fun though I do have a cool story about their adventures together. I might leave him in the 15g in my office, poor little guy was rejected by his buddy when I put the 3rd male in since the 2 were fine together. The 3rd became too stressed from moving and the dominate of the 2 males became very aggressive to him. The subordinate chased the dominate away and laid next to the 3rd, protecting him until he died, but this deteriorated the 2's relationship and he's been chased into a corner ever since. I'm tempted to give my little mistreated guy the harem in the 360 lol or even just a girl in the 15 though I can't seem to find anyone that carries females.

Other tank

29:

2 yellow tail damsels (might move them but they're doing good with the male so far and were still peaceful to my wrasse when they were in there)

Fiji blue devil (cyanae) male

2 cyanae females - not in the tank yet. adding these bad girls last as they're still in my 90 and pretty vicious.

If you can't tell by now, I love watching pair behavior in my fish. It brings a whole new element to their behavior and seems to make them "happier" although my fish that can't be with another seem just as healthy.

Sorry for the length and thanks for your thoughts!

I'm surprised you don't have plans for any tangs. That seems to be popular way to go for huge tanks.

Pairs are the way to go!!

We're not too sold on tangs. We loved our kole but lost him, and had a chevron that had probable cyanide poisoning. So now we're up in the air. If we do get one, it'll have to be a healthy guy from a wamas member that needs a home. And it'll have to be until everyone was happily settled in the 360 and our 90 qt was up.

I've never been a fan of tangs simply bc they are the norm, but some have started to grow on me - like Achilles, all of the powders, and a dussumieri tang I saw today. Another mark against them is they don't seem to pair well. Can't have that now can we?

They do seem hard to pair. I have seen adult yellow tang groups and a adult naso tang pair. That's it. There may be more I just haven't seen it in a hobbyist tank.

Anthias would be cool, but yeah I was afraid of them chasing others and is why I went with my flasher wrasse trio. Oh and I forgot to mention I'm trying to find a nice school of orange lined cardinals - we love those and want like 10 lol

Edited by YiatzOfEden

Only 10? I've got 5 blue chromis in my 160. Cmon you've got a HUGE tank! Use it! Oh, and FYI all of us that can't get a tank that big will be living through your experience! :laugh:

I think the only reason I would want a huge tank would be to have a school of 5 yellow tangs.

I am into pairs. I have a pair of orange firefish, a pair of purple firefish, a pair of scooter dragonettes, and a pair of clowns. My Rainfords goby and Hectors goby need partners, but I needed to see how they would do in my tank first. No future partner for the tang is possible. Not sure yet if I want anymore chromis because they always seem to die when young and I don;t like the big ones.

How about a school of about 10 blue eyes cardinals? They look kind of plain in pictures individually, but under good light they are quite stunning in groups

Edited by treesprite

I'm combining my 75 & 90 soon (slow and ongoing process, sorry for lack of updates on my build thread) into a 360 with 180 display fuge and have some fish/inverts/stuff that I'm concerned over.

I have tanks everywhere so no one will be homeless if things don't work out but I'd like people's opinions on compatibility.

So far my plans for the 360 are:

Two bar Rabbitfish pair

BW&picasso clown pair

Red Firefish pair

Cleaner wrasse

Mandarin pair

Lawnmower pair (im concerned I have two females [separate tanks now] as they get quite round quite often)

Flasher wrasse trio (anyone know where I can get some females?)

Coral beauty angel pair

Falco hawkfish pair

Scarlet Skunk Cleaner shrimp pair

Harlequin Shrimp pair

2 rbta's

2 derasa clams

1 maxima clam

mainly LPS/softies with some sps.

2 conchs

tiny nassarius snails

banded trochus snails

porcelain crabs

180:

snowflake eel

Those that i'm not sure where to put yet -

Tomato clown female(ish) - thinking of keeping her with the eel but I'm concerned over keeping the pod population safe that way.

Snowflake clown - considering pairing her up then tossing them on the other side of the 360. 8' of territory should be good right? lol

Second carpenter male - Where I ordered sent me all 3 males :/ not fun though I do have a cool story about their adventures together. I might leave him in the 15g in my office, poor little guy was rejected by his buddy when I put the 3rd male in since the 2 were fine together. The 3rd became too stressed from moving and the dominate of the 2 males became very aggressive to him. The subordinate chased the dominate away and laid next to the 3rd, protecting him until he died, but this deteriorated the 2's relationship and he's been chased into a corner ever since. I'm tempted to give my little mistreated guy the harem in the 360 lol or even just a girl in the 15 though I can't seem to find anyone that carries females.

Other tank

29:

2 yellow tail damsels (might move them but they're doing good with the male so far and were still peaceful to my wrasse when they were in there)

Fiji blue devil (cyanae) male

2 cyanae females - not in the tank yet. adding these bad girls last as they're still in my 90 and pretty vicious.

If you can't tell by now, I love watching pair behavior in my fish. It brings a whole new element to their behavior and seems to make them "happier" although my fish that can't be with another seem just as healthy.

Sorry for the length and thanks for your thoughts!

I'd avoid the tomato clown and be very wary of how the other clowns get along. Despite the fact that you'll have a lot of space, clowns can get very aggressive if they decide to. I have multiple clowns in my tank and then lost my breeding female black and white ocellaris and that gave my skunk clowns the chance to take over and bully the whole tank. My male black and white then also killed a juvenile percula almost a year later.

I don't think prior temperament makes a difference in hawkfish - if given the opportunity they will grab a shrimp and eat it, especially in a new system where everything is new. I had a hawkfish before that would grab shrimp as big as it and then smash them against the rocks to break them in half to eat.

The lawnmowers will probably kill each other off - I'm not sure that a full belly is an indication of it being a female, in my experience they always get rounded bellies when they have enough to eat.

I'd avoid the blue devils but add the yellow tails - they are nowhere near as aggressive and aren't your typical damsel (they're fun to watch when they pair up and start breeding, too).

As far as the wrasses, you may be able to recombine them. That's a lot of room and I would guess a lot of rock work. Problem is if it doesn't work, then you're stuck as it won't be easy catching them even when they go to sleep at night.

Coral beauties are hit or miss with combining them with corals and clams, I've always had well behaved model citizens, but you never know as many have had them pick at things.

If you want to get a look at how a big tang looks in a tank, feel free to swing by. I have 2 Dussumieris, a unicorn, powder blue, pacific blue, 2 yellows, a purple... I think that's all of them. Do they all fight? Yes, but they have an established pecking order and don't do any damage that lasts more than a day or two. Of course, they're all kept in check by the Imperator, who grunts at anyone who gets in his way!

@ Josh - Lol 10 to start! was thinking about 12-15 ish, so much more room for variety (and activities!)

@ Treesprite - blue eyed might be better as they seem more easily acquired.

@ Dave - Yeah, tomato isn't going in the 360 at all. I was more trying to decide about putting her in my 180 fuge. Maybe I'll put her in my 90 qt until I decide what to do. Snowflake might even stay in my office upstairs permanently, with the wrasse. I had thought about getting a domino or something similar to pair her with and don't want her to outshine my original pair in the 360 ;)

As for my hawkfish and shrimp..I'ma have to think more on that one. Hard decision either way for who goes in the 360. I could always keep my harle's upstairs, but I'd be afraid for my cleaners as well - they've gotten to a nice size and breeding all the time, I'd hate to lose them.

I'm attempting to pair up lawnmowers so I can try to breed them in the future. Since I can't tell sex at this size, I was going off the appearance/disappearance of distended bellies. I'll have to upload a picture when I can, if it is just overeating - then there's a mcdonald's somewhere in my tank. I might have to add my smaller lawnmower to a different tank and wait.

All of my damsels have their own happy (or angry depending on how you look at them) 29g tank and are doing well so far. Haven't added my female devils yet though. I'm not even sure if I should add just one or both.

I don't know if I want to chance it with my wrasse, my subordinate has white eyebrows (neat looking) and is so much more outgoing in his new 15g. And with the dominate having brighter colors, I don't think my other would get too many of the ladies (when/if I find them)

As for my coral beauty pair - I'm hoping to just observe and see how my clams do with them, if not well then I could possibly have the clams in the display fuge with the eel.

I also have the time and space to let my most peaceful fish (currently in my 75) establish their home first in both the 180 and then 360 if that makes a difference.

I'm worried now that my 90 "qt" is slowly going to become my orphan tank!

I thought that also but based on what I've read, the clams are big enough that I don't think the eel would be able to pose a threat. Plus it was with these same clams in Eddi's tank.

I can't get my male flasher wrasse out of my 29g and no one touched my diy fishtrap. He's in there with one yellowtail damsel (he didn't like his new buddy and attacked after 2 days dry.gif) and my male blue devil who I sometimes doubt he's a cyanae due to his docility and worry how he'll do with his females. And should I remove the wrasse and single yellowtail out before adding the female cyanaes? Also if I should indeed have just the pair of cyanae damsels together, should I recapture my male and have the pair in a smaller tank; saving the 29 for others? Would the single yellowtail be peaceful enough for everyone in the 360? or does he deserve another, more careful try at pairing? So many choices!

Although, my husband and I decided that we want the (previously) submissive male to be in the 360 with the harem because he's more compassionate and therefore would in theory be better to his females. He's brightening up beautifully, and though he doesn't have the coloring of the other male yet, his personality is amazing. I have a pic on my now dead phone of him protecting the sick male. As soon as I rescue my pictures I'll post it. I wish I had gotten video, it was an amazing thing to witness. With that thought, if he's ok with the damsels - the other male could stay in the 29 (I'd rather move him to a safer tank, or replan around him)

I also forgot to add to my 360 wishlist - a pair of yellowhead/pearly jawfish. I rescued one and added him to my 75 - was a fantastic fish so I got 2 more with a reefs2go order. After a few days I find my original floating and chewed on and the other 2 MIA since acclimation. Still no clue as to what happened, though my original developed an oddly lumped stomach just before this incident but he was eating well and active for awhile in this condition.

Additionally, my dream fish is a black volitan; an actual black colored lion, not just the name. I've always loved all lions - but volitans make me so happy and I would think keeping one in the 180 with the eel would be fine. However my problem is talking to some LFS around here - no one understands what I mean when I say all black volitan. If I show them a picture they say they've never seen one and can't order one, though I hear of all black ones frequently on other forums. Any ideas? (just realized I haven't asked any of the wamas sponsors, is there a thread for that or should I post in their forum or pm them?).

Edited by YiatzOfEden

I'd PM. Ben at petland seems to have some unique stuff. He even had an all black angler, and some rare anemones. Just search around everyone has somewhat different contacts and may be able to get you different stuff.

• 6 months later...

Both sad and interesting how plans change and grow. I wasn't sure if I should keep this here or in my build thread but I like seeing how my livestock list evolves. Hope you dont mind bearing with me ;) and you tang lovers will be very pleased we've joined your ranks.

I'll start with what I have atm and where I'm planning on them going.

Two bar and scribbled rabbitfish.

Mandarin pair

Coral beauty pair (tested and doing amazing with all corals and clams, very gorgeous couple)

Picasso/snowflake clownfish pair

Bangaii Cardinal pair

Huchtii Anthias, 7 (1 dominant male and a submale who get along great, and all the ladies)

Cleaner wrasse

Copperband butterfly (fattened up on our feather dusters, now I just need to get the spoiled guy to eat frozen again lol)

Blond naso tang, male (big guy, bordering 7")

Desjardini tang (large also)

Orange shoulder tang (small)

Falco Hawkfish pair (they're not too aggressive, but will be one of the last fish I add into the display. I don't know how the female is with ornamental shrimp but the male is fine with them.)

Hope I haven't forgot anyone. My future stocking plans for the 360 include:

Black Naso tang female

5 Convict tangs

Achilles tang

Powder brown tang

Tomini tang

a few other tangs possibly

Leopard wrasse (different kinds)

Flame angel pair (only if I can get them to not nip anything like my coral beauties)

eibli angel pair (same^)

Ecsenius blennies (twinspot or tailspot) group (looking to put in less aggressive blennies in case I want to try pearly jawfish again)

Others I know I've forgotten.

Snowflake eel (bordering 2')

Dog faced puffer

Cleaner wrasse

Lawnmower (going to try to pair)

Any other ideas?

With either tank I have a dilemma:

I have a yellow tail, azure, single fiji devil female, and a fiji devil mated pair of damsels. They've been great since they've been in my tanks, the hawkfish have been more ornery to newly introduced fish than they have. The smaller yellowtail and azure even became best buds with some flasher wrasse I had. I really love my damsels, I know that's crazy talk in this hobby ;)

I feel like since they haven't shown any above average aggression (I have no doubt they'll still act like damsels do) and they would be in a very large tank that they may not give me any problems. However I think with the 180 aquascape I'm planning they'll look fantastic, though I'm concerned for their safety with the new puffer as he grows.

Where should I put them? And how do you guys think it would impede stocking ideas in either tank?