Biocube 14 DIY Evaporative Cooling Fans

spankna

Just finished my install and its getting late so I am going to try and make this quick. I have had two near catastrophic events in my tank from temp increases that triggered this install. Causes for the temp increases were A/C failure in my apt and girlfriend settings temp too high on vacation. I haven't lost any fish/corals directly during or following the temps increases but when I see 86 on my Apex Jr screen, I get concerned.

This was a mock up of the two vent grills and filter covers. Idea is simple, cut two holes under each covers and mount fans in the openings. Fans/grills/filter covers are all 50mm.

NOTE: I recommend using 12volt dc fans/PS as the 5volt systems I started with was far too under powered.

gallery_2632785_992_568236.jpg

Here is the fan grill and filter cover broken down.

gallery_2632785_992_253145.jpg

First thing, pop off the feeder door. Once off, use a hole saw to cut a hole in the feeder door. I used a 1.75inch hole saw for the 50mm fans I used. Fit is almost perfect.

NOTE: Move your fans/covers closer to the front of the tank or the grills/filter covers will catch the hood when opening the door. Mine catches so don't be cool like me and think of it after the fact.

gallery_2632785_992_313024.jpg

gallery_2632785_992_827929.jpg

Underside of the feeder door with fans mounted. Pictured fans are 5v but I ended up going to the OEM 12v fans from the Biocube hood. I soldered and heat wrapped all connections. I am not a professional so I am not going to tell you how to wire up your tank. Only thing I can say is that the fans connect to some sort of DC power source.

gallery_2632785_992_212839.jpg

Fans running with the wiring cleaned up a bit. Notice the hole I drilled through the back lip of the feeder door so I could zip-tie the wires to the door. Up and out of the water.

gallery_2632785_992_866966.jpg

All wrapped up.

gallery_2632785_992_687859.jpg

gallery_2632785_992_14378.jpg

I think it looks pretty clean and almost OEM. Feeder door is the perfect angle to send air under the light cover. I will post a temp graph from my ApexJr in a couple days to see if there is a temp difference.

Nice job. I moved the topic to DIY as it seems most appropriate there. Since you have an ACJR, are you considering running the fans only when the temperature reaches some trip point?

Agree, nice, clean install! Looks great!

Does one blow in, and the other blow out? That is how the two stock fans work. Looks nice.

I have this question too. I would think the hood would be leaky enough that you could have them both blow inward, which I would think will help with the longevity of being that close to saltwater (air is less salty, warm and humid).

Agree, nice, clean install! Looks great!

I have this question too. I would think the hood would be leaky enough that you could have them both blow inward, which I would think will help with the longevity of being that close to saltwater (air is less salty, warm and humid).

If you routed some slots in the hood somewhere I could see them both blowing in. However, the lids are pretty tight fitting. You could even take a drill and make a pattern of holes or something. Maybe be easier than adding slots...

Actually, looking closely at the pictures, I think they are installed such that one blows in and the other out :)

Something I noticed last night but was too tired to write out.

If you look at my pictures, I have the fans and grills only held on in opposite corners. 2 screws in each fan and 2 screws in each grill. This caused the corners that are not screwed down on the grills to distort and rise up. So in the pictures you will see the grill/fan covers having a gap between them and the feeder door. My plan is to replace the screws with stainless bolts/nuts to pull all corners down. I also plan on placing a fan silencer between the fan and feeder door. Below is a picture of the silencer I am referring to.

fss-03.jpg

Here is todays the last 24hours from my ACJR.

gallery_2632785_992_376231.jpg

My Actinics LEDs cut on at 0830 and the 50/50 LEDs follow at 1130. I am sure I can level out todays temp. I purposely left both the fans and the heater on today and here is the results.

gallery_2632785_992_307442.jpg

I love data!

Seeing graphs like this make me want to purchase a controller that much more, just so I can play a bit.

I just noticed that the heating-cooling cycle is ping-ponging in a very narrow range. What settings are you using for your heating trip point and cooling trip point? You may want to consider loosening up a little on the hysteresis just so you're not turning things on and off so frequently, and possibly causing excessive wear or stress.

I just noticed that the heating-cooling cycle is ping-ponging in a very narrow range. What settings are you using for your heating trip point and cooling trip point? You may want to consider loosening up a little on the hysteresis just so you're not turning things on and off so frequently, and possibly causing excessive wear or stress.

I completely agree this is putting excessive wear on the equipment especially on the ACJR's power switches to cut the heater on/off. The graph showing the heater outlet on/off status is all the proof you need. I currently have the fans plugged into an unmanaged power strip with timer as my ACJR outlet are full. I have an Energy Bar 8 arriving today which I am going to setup the fans on. Should take me a couple days to even out the temp graph.

Just grabbed this from the ACJR page on Neptunes site.

Modular Expansion through AquaBus

High reliability protocol with robust error correction

Plug and Play