bio pellets disaster

astroboy

I've been using Bulk Reef Supply biopellets for about a year: a maxi jet 1200 runs water thru a canister and the pellets slowly dissolve, making a carbon source for bacteria.

This morning I noticed the water in the canister wasn't circulating so I got the maxi jet going again and thought nothing of it. A few minutes later the whole house was filled with a hydrogen sulfide smell. What had happened was that the biopellets had sat in the canister fermenting for 3-4 days creating a really nasty brew.

The canister empties into a sump and not a whole lot of bad water had gotten into the tank. I did a 100% water change, but I'm going to lose all my fish. The corals, surprisingly, are opening up again and perhaps they'll live.

I guess the moral of the story is to never have anything hooked up to your tank that might decompose. In the future, I'll stick to vodka dosing. I'm not sure the biopellets were doing all that much anyway.

Edited by astroboy

Take the fish out and put them in buckets with clean water. They'll survive. Mine were on their sides barely breathing and I took them out of a tank with bad water and put them in clean water. They made it. It's better then letting them get poisoned. Give them a chance. I've got water you can have. All you need is buckets and heater and powerhead.Please don't give up on them yet.

Edited by Jan

I've had the same thing happen with biopellets. It was a slow process for me and lost most of my corals. Catch your fish like Jan said. Put them in buckets with a couple air stones/powerheads and then do a large water change.

I should have said, I *lost* all my fish. It could have been much worse....

Sorry to hear about the fish. How are the corals doing now?

The corals are opening up, slowly but surely. Looks like I dodged that bullet. As life's tragedies go this isn't a big one, but I'm grateful I dodged this bullet. I do feel bad about the fish, they're pets and I feel bad that they suffered, but at least they're relatively inexpensive.

yeah the only bad thing about brs media reactors is they tend to clog and max 1200 aren't the best to use with the media reactors from brs. i've switched to mag 3, and it's flawless since the switch.