Ryan's 150g Marineland Deep Dimension!

Ryan S

After selling my 135g tank back in 2009, I've been waiting patiently for the right time to get back into the hobby, and this time it will be for good! A few months ago I pulled the trigger on a 40g breeder during petco's $1/gallon sale, however quickly realized that the 40g wouldn't cut it for me. By the time I invested all the money it would've taken to build a stand, canopy, drill it, etc, it would have cost as much as a bigger tank, which is definitely what I preferred. So instead of going from a 135 to a 40, I'll be going from a 135 to a 150! After months of posting on craigslist and here on WAMAS, I finally found someone selling a used Marineland 150g DD and grabbed it! Andy (Alieu07) recently upgraded to a 180g tank from another WAMAS member, and when I saw him show interest in that tank, I sent him a "preemptive strike" PM telling him I'd LOVE to have his old 150g DD, and lucky for me, he made the upgrade and sold his tank to me! I'm planning on transporting it from Ashburn, VA to Arlington, VA in January - when I get back from spending Christmas at home in Maine. Right now I'm leaning towards the weekend of Jan 7/8, so I'll probably reach out to anyone near Ashburn or Bailey's Crossroads that can lend a hand loading and unloading the tank (it's heavy!)

In the mean time, I plan on taking it very slow, and not putting water in for at least a couple months. I want to have everything planned correctly and I'd like to avoid "purchasing mistakes" if possible this time around.

The tank is a 150g Marineland Deep Dimension (36x36x27) with a stand and canopy and a 9" extension that Andy had built, which is awesome and raises the tank to a much better viewing height. It also came with a Mag-Drive 9.5 return pump. My plan right now, honestly, is to copy our current TOTM, (ChrisTran)'s tank (which is also a Marineland 150g DD). Chris has already very kindly answered a pile of questions for me in PMs, and has offered to show me his tank in person in January. I am already appreciative of his time and help!

Hopefully you guys (and gals!) don't mind me asking questions about which items to get. I want to get the right things the first time around and not need to upgrade or resell stuff because I didn't get the right item the first time.

What I have purchased so far is:

A Refractometer

2 200g IO Salt Boxes

BRS 5 Stage Plus RO/DI Unit (will order in GB next week)

BRS 50lbs Dry Pukani Rock (will order in GB next week - may need more rock, but would rather underbuy than overbuy at first)

I need to figure out what size sump I should get. And then add baffles. Right now I'm leaning towards a 40g breeder or 50g regular, once I take measurements and see if they will fit or not. I also need to figure out lighting. Not sure if I want to toss up MH's, a couple AI Sol Blues, or wait and grab a Ecotech Radion (though 1 probably wouldn't be enough for the tank).

Here is the current equipment list that I plan on buying (slowly, over the next couple months). It's in the order I want to buy it. (IE: The BRS Pumps are way down the road).

Kent Pro-Scraper Short

Black Krylon Fusion Flat Spray Paint

Finnex 300W Submersible Digital Heater

40 Lb Bahama Aragonite Sand (Coarse)

40 Lb Bahama Aragonite Sand (Coarse)

Ecotech Vortech MP40w ES

***Will add water to tank after everything above is purchased***

Aquarium Water Changer - 25 ft. (Aqueon)

Large Mag Float

Reef Octopus Extreme XS200 Skimmer

Red Sea Algae Control Multi Test Kit (NO3, PO4)

Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro Multi Test Kit (Ca, KH, Mg)

Kent Pro-Scraper Long

BRS 2 Pump Doser

BRS 2 Pump Doser

Two Part Starter Kit

Ecotech Vortech MP40w ES

The list is not set in stone, by any means, and will probably change as I go along. For example, I have most definitely not decided upon what skimmer to get. There are many choices and many for sale in the WTS forums right now too. So that will be adjusted. I've also been pondering 1 MP60 vs the 2 MP40w's (ChrisTran just uses a single MP60). I've also considered grabbing a couple Koralia 4's and using them for the time being as well.

Anyway, that's it for now. You can see photos of the tank in Alieu07's build thread. Once I get it to my apartment, I'll take some new ones and post them here! Very excited to finally be back!

-Ryan

Edited by Ryan S

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Ryan you really doing a lot of home work :biggrin: . I can guarantee this will be the TOTM in short time.

Btw I like your new avatar.

Thanks Andy! It's a lot of homework, but it's being able to run things by you and Chris that is the most helpful! And it will be a very long time until it's a totm, but when/if that day comes, I promise we'll have a WAMAS TOTM party at my place and I'll pass out free frags to everyone!

PS: Chris - I am totally watching your build as well since we can benefit from a lot of the same equipment on our DD tanks, even though you do have the bigger one! :)

I don't think you can go wrong doing a lot of what Chris did...That tank is one of my favorites! I'd personally go with 2 separate pumps for a couple reasons.

1) Redundancy...if 1 pump goes out you still have 1 running

2) Ability to change flow patterns, sync, etc

3) Cost is about even if you look at used pumps.

In terms of lighting, I'm probably in the minority but I really like the radium MH look and a single 400 would probably be fine for your tank assuming you're keeping low light stuck at the periphery. A 8 bulb sunpower/pm would also do well. The 36" front to back makes a commercial LED fixture difficult imo (since they're really supposed to cover a 2 x 2 footprint) but if you DIY, you can probably get great coverage.

I don't think you can go wrong doing a lot of what Chris did...That tank is one of my favorites! I'd personally go with 2 separate pumps for a couple reasons.

1) Redundancy...if 1 pump goes out you still have 1 running

2) Ability to change flow patterns, sync, etc

3) Cost is about even if you look at used pumps.

In terms of lighting, I'm probably in the minority but I really like the radium MH look and a single 400 would probably be fine for your tank assuming you're keeping low light stuck at the periphery. A 8 bulb sunpower/pm would also do well. The 36" front to back makes a commercial LED fixture difficult imo (since they're really supposed to cover a 2 x 2 footprint) but if you DIY, you can probably get great coverage.

+1 roni is giving you a very good advice there.

The space under the stand can hold a sump that is 34" x 18". The height underneath is 25".

1. How tall should a sump be for this stand/tank?

2. Should I go the custom acrylic sump route - and get something that's 34" x 18" x 18"? Or should I get a standard 29g from petco for $29, that's 30" x 12" x 18"?

*Picturing in my head what a 29g tank would like in the stand, there would be a lot of space leftover in the tank. (Of the 34" of available width in the stand, 12" would be taken up by the 29g tank, and 22" would be free space.) I could actually fit 2 separate 29g tanks underneath, and still have 10" of space left...

Not sure how I can best setup the sump area. I'd love to have all equipment down there, a nice sump, and a big fuge ideally... Any ideas??

depending on your money situation id have one built... then you get exactly what you want sump/fuge/skimmer/return pumps areas to your specifications..

IF not.. then get 2 29g tanks... (maybe drill some holes for bulkheads for flow to go from one to another?) and set things up how youd want...

depending on your money situation id have one built... then you get exactly what you want sump/fuge/skimmer/return pumps areas to your specifications..

IF not.. then get 2 29g tanks... (maybe drill some holes for bulkheads for flow to go from one to another?) and set things up how youd want...

The custom sump might be out of my price range.

This guy put a 29g and a 20g under his 150g DD.

I guess the 29g in the back is for the skimmer and heater, and the 20g in the front is for the fuge and return pump.

That would run $49 for the tanks, plus 2 bulkheads, 4 baffles, some silicone... Under $100 total...???

yeah.. much more economical, lol

The only thing I dont like about his setup is that his filter sock is setting IN the water??

I would have a seperate baffle for that area but thats me...

If you go LED I would recomment Radion. I have AI Sol Blues and I don't like them. The colors are no where near as good as MH or T5. The Radion fixture has much better spectrum. DIY LEDs are a nice way to go for that tank footprint. I would consider doing that and applying the savings towards and Apex. They Apex controls DIY LEDs with all the same finesse as the factory-made stuff. It will also integrate those BRS dosers and the MP40Ws nicely.

On the skimmer, I would seriously look at the AVAST recirculating skimmer. It is very affordable (especially if you take the easy DIY option). You can have an automated neck cleaner and an external skimate container (all automated via an APEX) for the about same price. http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/proteinskimmers/CS1

I would also look seriously at the AVAST topoff system. It is simple and highly reliable. It is new breakthrough since you have been gone.

I just did some more math on the maximum size of the sump. If the panel on the side of the tank has 19" wide, and 25" tall, I could actually fit a larger custom sump underneath than I initially thought. I could fit a 34"L x 24"W x 18"H sideways, then turn it inside the stand. That's quite a bit bigger than a 29g tank at 30" x 12" x 18". But probably $400 vs $30 in price too. So I have to really ponder this.

Thanks for the advice oldreefer. I see you live just down the road. I'd love to meet you in person and talk tanks with you sometime.

-Ryan

I also caution against going "as big as you can." On one of my previous setups, a 125 gallon, I was going for the biggest that I could and decided that I could fit a 40L as the sump. Long story short, the sump fit but made access to everything in the sump very difficult (meaning maintenance suffered).

Alternately, I would figure out the maximum "accessible" space you have under your tank (e.g., give yourself at least 10" between the top of the sump and top of your cabinet doors), and work with that.

I have found modeling programs, such as free google sketchup, to be useful in getting a better spacial feel for what you have in mind. Let me know if you need help, I am pretty adept at using some of these programs.

If you go LED I would recomment Radion. I have AI Sol Blues and I don't like them. The colors are no where near as good as MH or T5. The Radion fixture has much better spectrum. DIY LEDs are a nice way to go for that tank footprint. I would consider doing that and applying the savings towards and Apex. They Apex controls DIY LEDs with all the same finesse as the factory-made stuff. It will also integrate those BRS dosers and the MP40Ws nicely.

+1 with this.

I would get a halide over it, and call it the day. So much less of a headache imo. Unless you think heat will be an issue. DIY led's would probably be close to $800? Maybe more or less depending.

Here is a good deal for under $400... http://www.aquaholic...decombos/mogul/

Edit- may have some lower light areas on the sides.

Or get a used reflector for next to nothing.

Edited by BowieReefer84

I have found modeling programs, such as free google sketchup, to be useful in getting a better spacial feel for what you have in mind. Let me know if you need help, I am pretty adept at using some of these programs.

I'd love help with google sketchup. I haven't tried it yet, but wanted to use it for the stand and sump region. That way I could get a better feel for what could fit down there and where. For example, I am wondering if a 5g bucket could fit underneath for an ATO container (and use a JBJ ATO or something that goes from the bucket to the sump); or if an external skimmer might fit better under the stand with a 29g sump (this would allow for a bigger fuge in the 29g sump than if the skimmer is inside the sump). Or where I could put the Apex, 2 BRS pumps, dosing jugs, etc.

+1 with this.

I would get a halide over it, and call it the day. So much less of a headache imo. Unless you think heat will be an issue. DIY led's would probably be close to $800? Maybe more or less depending.

Good guess on the DIY leds. I got a quote of $700. Which is big bucks. My budget for this tank is $3000 total. So while I don't want to skimp on lights (or the skimmer), I also have a limited budget. I'd buy 2 Ecotech Radion's if I didn't have a budget, you know?

For a 27" deep tank; would a 250w MH suffice, or would I need a 400w MH? I was considering a MH centered in a reflector (maybe a lumenarc), and then maybe 1 or 2 actinic T5s on each side?

I bet you can stalk RC and find a 400 watt MH with a big reflector for a steal. That is how I did my set up when I came back onto the hobby. I had a list and stalked RC for six months. I got some really great deals.

LEDs are likely to be less expensive and bettter in a year or two, so I would compromise on that first. On the other hand, purchasing a controller now makes big sense. If you buy it after the tank is running you will be replacing a pile of timers, seperate controllers and such that you would have never needed if you got a controller before you put water in the tank. Even and Apex Jr would be something to consider.

Drop me a note sometime and stop buy. I am south of the beltway in the Belle Haven area. I have been through the same sort of restart with a 150.

I also caution against going "as big as you can." On one of my previous setups, a 125 gallon, I was going for the biggest that I could and decided that I could fit a 40L as the sump. Long story short, the sump fit but made access to everything in the sump very difficult (meaning maintenance suffered).

This is definitely great advice. I want everything to fit in the stand, but still be functional.

That's the downside with what this guy did with his sumps under his 150g DD. He can't fit anything else in the stand, and maintenance looks like it will be a pain down there.

He has a 29g in the back, and a 20g long in the front.

29g = 30L 12W 18H

20g = 30L 12W 12H

Since the height of the stand is 25"; as you can see in that photo, there is very little clearance above the 29g (7"). But the 20g long has lots of space above it (13"). This makes me lean towards a 20g long for the sump tank. Or I could get 2 and drill them together...?

Edited by Ryan S

I'd love help with google sketchup. I haven't tried it yet, but wanted to use it for the stand and sump region. That way I could get a better feel for what could fit down there and where. For example, I am wondering if a 5g bucket could fit underneath for an ATO container (and use a JBJ ATO or something that goes from the bucket to the sump); or if an external skimmer might fit better under the stand with a 29g sump (this would allow for a bigger fuge in the 29g sump than if the skimmer is inside the sump). Or where I could put the Apex, 2 BRS pumps, dosing jugs, etc.

Sketchup is fairly intuitive in its use. I prefer Autocad, though (not as intuitive, but far more powerful). If you want to send me dimensions for various parts I can model it up fairly quickly and send you some pictures. If you want to learn how to use Sketchup, I recommend that we get together for a beer or something and I can show you how to use it. Either way works for me.

I bet you can stalk RC and find a 400 watt MH with a big reflector for a steal. That is how I did my set up when I came back onto the hobby. I had a list and stalked RC for six months. I got some really great deals.

They say great minds think alike! :) I actually have a list just like that, and plan on taking my time and watching RC (and WAMAS) for the best deals I can get. With a $3000 budget in mind, this is what I have so far, with approximate prices right now:

Fish Tank $700

Refractometer $26

2 200g IO Salt Boxes $90

RO/DI Unit & 50lbs Dry Pukani Rock $296

Finnex 300W Submersible Digital Heater $25

80 Lb Bahama Aragonite Sand (Coarse) $60

2x Ecotech Vortech MP40w ES $700

Maxi-Jet Powerhead 1200 (water changes) $25

Large Mag Float $25

ASM G-4 Skimmer $200

Red Sea Algae Control Multi Test Kit (NO3, PO4) $45

Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro Multi Test Kit (Ca, KH, Mg) $45

Kent Pro-Scraper Short $5

Kent Pro-Scraper Long $10

2x BRS 2 Pump Doser $160

Two Part Starter Kit $40

Subtotal: $2452 (doesn't include sump or lights)

29g = 30L 12W 18H

20g = 30L 12W 12H

I am debating between using a regular 29g or a 20g long for the sump at the moment. It will be too much of a pain to drill 2 of them and connect them underneath, and the budget doesn't have room for a $400 custom sump. Assuming a ASM G3 (11" x 12" footprint) or G4 (11.5" x 16" footprint) would fit inside, that wouldn't leave very much room for a fuge. So now I am wondering if an external skimmer might be a good idea?

An initial search found the following external skimmers for sale used:

$400: H&S A200-1260 External Protein Skimmer

$350: Deltec AP851 Skimmer

I've never had experience with an external skimmer before. I suppose I'd rather not have one sitting beside the tank. But if it meant I could have a bigger fuge, that might make it worthwhile?

I could also look to a smaller footprint skimmer than the ASMs, which have a large footprint and are very tall (24-25").

The SWC Xtreme 180 Cone Protein Skimmer is popular like the ASMs I believe? It has a smaller footprint (8" x 9" x 21") that could work in the 29g or 20g L sump and leave a little more space for the fuge.

20g L Fuge size with ASM G3 skimmer would be 9" x 12" x 12"

20g L Fuge size with ASM G4 skimmer would be 5" x 12" x 12"

20g L Fuge size with SWC 180 skimmer would be 12" x 12" x 12"

20g L Fuge size with either external skimmer would be 21" x 12" x 12"

29g L Fuge size with ASM G3 skimmer would be 9" x 12" x 18"

29g L Fuge size with ASM G4 skimmer would be 5" x 12" x 18"

29g L Fuge size with SWC 180 skimmer would be 12" x 12" x 18"

29g L Fuge size with either external skimmer would be 21" x 12" x 18"

Thoughts?

I wonder how a "LumenMax Reflector for Mogul Bulbs - Sunlight Supply" might light up the tank with a 400w 20k radium bulb? It says good for a 3' x 3' coverage area. Just not sure if attached to the canopy would be high enough for the coverage without a spotlight effect...

Not sure, but Hamilton Technology is running 25% off everything through January 3rd. I got a special email. Code to use is "YES11".

http://www.hamiltontechnology.com/shop/?cat=79

I used one of those over a 3 x 2 tank before with good effect. If you want a completely SPS dominant high light tank it may not work but if you like having a few lower light corals, having slightly decreased light intensity on the edges is a bonus.