CS 3 Recirculating skimmer

zygote2k

I received a call from Justin the other day saying that the prototype of the new big skimmer was ready for demo.

I just so happened to have a 500g reef that could use a skimmer like this, so I removed the existing ATI monster that uses 3) Sicce 1000's and put the CS3 in it's place.

The ATI is easily 50% larger than the CS3 and uses 3 pumps for bubble production. The CS3 uses 2 pumps plus a recirc pump.

The only way that I could compare the 2 skimmers was by measuring total skimmate production over the course of one week.

On any given week, the ATI would produce 3-4 cups of very dark tea colored poop water. On the first week of using the CS3, it produced nearly 12 cups, although I personally only measured 6 cups in 4 days. The first 3 days after install produced nearly the same amount (6 cups) but my boss emptied it without measuring it.

This is still a somewhat unfair comparison because the ATI has built up lots of scale on the inside and the CS3 is brand new. Even when the ATI was clean, it never pulled more than 6 cups out in any given week.

Build quality of the CS3 is no different than the rest of the AVAST line- everything can be easily disassembled for cleaning and with the exception of the larger sized cone, neck collar, and cup, many of the parts could be interchangeable.

Even though this skimmer uses 2 pumps, it still is operable using only 1 pump. In fact, it was only being run on one pump at Justin's place and pulling out nice skimmate while in the shadow of the 8' tall mega skimmer that is in use on the coral system.

As far as I know, this skimmer will have the same amount of options as the other AVAST skimmers.

Congrats on making another fine skimmer!

Old ATI.

gallery_2631654_862_400609.jpg

thick and brown liquid poop.

gallery_2631654_862_93140.jpg

measuring the good stuff.

gallery_2631654_862_785874.jpg

The new CS3 and 4 days worth of skimmate.

gallery_2631654_862_1088549.jpg

I MUST HAVE ONE! But I don't know why. I love my CS2. But I would love to upgrade. I already have 2 PSK 1000s, a skimate locker and a Swabbie. I just need the new body. I hope the make a purple one!

I hope the make a purple one!

Pimping the sump?

clap.gif

What an awesome skimmer! Are you guys making this in the smoked grey like the CS2? Which pump did you decide on for this? Is the collection cup 10" or 12"?

Good question. Rob took my only demo model so I can't even measure it! Dan will know, I'll find out soon.

Rob, there is a nice big 1/2" drain built into that cup, you know :)

Roni Yes there will be smoked cone option. It uses two psk-1000. If sicce makes a bigger pump we may look into that also.

Who cares about the volume, how about the smell? :biggrin:

Thanks for the update.

It made the whole room behind the tank smell like a toilet. The floor drain used to stink because of stagnant water 10' down, but now you can't even notice it. The ATI skimmer just plain sucks and if this is a normal comparison, then I'd tell everyone that uses an ATI to throw it away and get one of these.