New Marine Bio Class

amitwaru

Hi all,

I am a science teacher at Springbrook High in Silverspring and I have been given the go ahead to start a Marine Biology class here next year! I am super excited because I already have two classes filled! I would love to get a tank started in the classroom if anyone has something they would like to give away let me know!

Amy

Welcome to WAMAS! What size tank were you thinking about? Do you have experience with saltwater tanks? Do you have any ideas of what you would like to feature in the tank?

Hi there,

Thanks for the welcome! Not really sure what would be best for the classroom. I have had tanks before but not salt water. Any suggestions that would be fairly easy to maintain?

I would start off simple then with something around 55g and do a fish only system or add very basic soft corals. There are a few members here that have tanks in their schools, hopefully they will jump on this thread when they see it.

I'm not close to you but I can donate rock if we can find a way to get it to you. I also have a 4ft light depending on the tank you find.

When I took Marine Biology at NVCC, I set up a temperate tank with all of the species we caught while doing some trawling and plankton sampling at Wallops Island. There are plenty of temperate corals and inverts to be had from there. I'd suggest doing this route first since it's a very simple setup.

(edited)

Hi all,

I am a science teacher at Springbrook High in Silverspring and I have been given the go ahead to start a Marine Biology class here next year! I am super excited because I already have two classes filled! I would love to get a tank started in the classroom if anyone has something they would like to give away let me know!

Amy

Hey Amy! Glad to see you've found the place! By way of short introduction for everyone else, I completed my student teaching experience in Amy's class.

I would start off simple then with something around 55g and do a fish only system or add very basic soft corals. There are a few members here that have tanks in their schools, hopefully they will jump on this thread when they see it.

I'm not close to you but I can donate rock if we can find a way to get it to you. I also have a 4ft light depending on the tank you find.

I'd be happy to make a few pickups and deliveries as needed to get this tank set up and running.

Edited by dshnarw

Amy, you're welcome to touch base with me about maintaining the tanks. A high school is a slightly different proposition than an elementary school, but I've had tanks in school for about 7 years now and have learned a lot in the process that applies to schools moreso than it would to home tanks. Also, let me know what you're looking for in terms of a tank as I get offers all of the time for full set ups. If you'd like, contact me directly at my school email: david.lin@fcps.edu

Glad to see you're getting something put together! By the way, given the time away from school you'll have I'd actually suggest going larger rather than smaller. It gives more leeway for the smaller fluctuations and in a small tank the swings will be much greater than in a larger tank.

I have equipment just waiting to get out of my garage and my wife's way! Heaters, powerheads, skimmers (I "think" working skimmers). Unfortunately no tanks (or fotunately, depending on perspective), but have some 150W Metal Halide lighting. I think size very much is determined by the ability to take care of the tank during summers and breaks, whether the school is AC'ed all summer, that kind of thing. If you have to move it, then you should keep it <50 gallons I would say. If you can leave it there all year round, go bigger.

Thank so much!! Yes, I want to keep it pretty basic for now.

When I took Marine Biology at NVCC, I set up a temperate tank with all of the species we caught while doing some trawling and plankton sampling at Wallops Island. There are plenty of temperate corals and inverts to be had from there. I'd suggest doing this route first since it's a very simple setup.

Oh sounds good. Thanks for the info!

Hey Amy! Glad to see you've found the place! By way of short introduction for everyone else, I completed my student teaching experience in Amy's class.

I'd be happy to make a few pickups and deliveries as needed to get this tank set up and running.

Thanks Daniel!! Where do you suggest the tank go, since you have seen the horrible layout of my room.

I have equipment just waiting to get out of my garage and my wife's way! Heaters, powerheads, skimmers (I "think" working skimmers). Unfortunately no tanks (or fotunately, depending on perspective), but have some 150W Metal Halide lighting. I think size very much is determined by the ability to take care of the tank during summers and breaks, whether the school is AC'ed all summer, that kind of thing. If you have to move it, then you should keep it <50 gallons I would say. If you can leave it there all year round, go bigger.

Im pretty sure the school is open during the summer but they probably shut down the AC. I will have to double check on that. I will definately get back to you about the supplies! Thank you! To be honest I really do not know what I need yet.

Thanks Daniel!! Where do you suggest the tank go, since you have seen the horrible layout of my room.

If you go with a 55 gallon or less, the counter where the bio books are sitting is the best space. For something larger, you could take up the counter space between stations 6 and 7 and lose the use of those windows.

• 2 weeks later...

Talk about good fortune.

Yesterday, I received an email from a family wanting to break a (55 gallon) marine tank down. They contacted WAMAS for help find interested parties. When I mentioned that we sponsored educational tanks in the schools, they found this thread and brought it to my attention. It turns out that the tank that is going away perfectly meets the needs of this school.

Perfectly. Tank, stand, lights, sand, rock, livestock, a few corals, ... perfect.

Both parties are very excited by the prospect of a transfer for a good cause. However, due to the circumstances surrounding this tank (the original owner has passed, I think), neither party has much experience breaking a saltwater tank down and setting it back up. They could use help. I'm appealing to WAMAS to identify some help breaking the tank down and setting it back up in a new location. Two or three people could easily break the tank down and a set it back up. These could be separate groups of people, but ideally at least one person would be at both ends to give continuity to the transfer.

The transfer date is Sunday, June 3. A time has not yet been set. The tank is now located in NW DC, near Howard University. It will be set up again (for the summer) on the northeast side of Baltimore, just outside the Baltimore Beltway. The plan is for the tank to spend the summer months at the teacher's house where it can be monitored more closely and the teacher can learn husbandry techniques, and to move it back to the high school in the fall.

If you think you can give some time at either end of this transfer on this date, please post on this thread. Thanks.

Hi! I could help on Monday or Tuesday but will be at a family reunion Sunday. Or possibly another time?

Thanks, Holly. Still waiting on an exact time to start. I think June 3 is the most likely date just because the three other parties that need to coordinate appear to be available then.

Still looking for help!

Thanks, Holly. Still waiting on an exact time to start. I think June 3 is the most likely date just because the three other parties that need to coordinate appear to be available then.

Still looking for help!

Hi all,

We decided on Sunday June 3rd at 9am which is the best for the family giving away the tank. If anyone is near DC that is where the break down will be and if anyone is near Baltimore that is where I will set back up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!!!