SCWD Modification - Mine locked up

bbyatv

I decided to cut my SCWD open because it locked up.

I pretty much followed this plan:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/printthr...mp;pagenumber=3

The only difference is that I cut the SCWD open using a drop saw rather than a dremel. This idea is also shown in the thread above but kind of toward the end.

This mod took me no time at all. I am talking about a 30 minute job and about $7 in parts from Ace.

Once I got it open, I found a bunch of white detris crap in the gear box. A little vinegar cleaned it all up and made it all work smooth.

Here are some pics:

Stolen Image (I used a blade with way more teeth)

IMG_3852_sm.jpg

Stolen Image (Cut open)

IMG_3853_sm.jpg

Stolen Image (Cleaned up)

IMG_3856_sm.jpg

Stolen Image (Sand the ends of the PVC fitting and SCWD smooth)

89031DSC01589.jpg

Stolen Image (Glue them together)

89031DSC01600.jpg

Heres Mine

Dsc02852.jpg

Here are the parts

Dsc02849.jpg

Here it is all together

Dsc02856.jpg

Here is the cement I used

Dsc02861.jpg

The only problem that happens is getting the gear box out of the SCWD once cut open.

What I did was use a utility knife to cut off the ends of the little channels (holding the gear box in place) that are built into the main black body. This took a little work. A Dremel might do a nice job here. Once the ends are cut or ground off, the gear box will slide out. When I put it back in, I placed a few layers of black electrical tape on the outside of the gear box so that it was a very snug fit going back in.

The SCWD is now working great and can be maintained and cleaned without even taking the valve body out of the system. I just unscrew the cap and pull the gear box.

Bruce

I need to learn more about these things and how to use one with a closed loop, since I built a closed loop that just needs to be painted black then will be ready to go.

lol not brave enough to port it out like mine? Just kidding. Looks good, glad to hear it works, I had trouble getting the clean out cap to seal on mine, next time I'll buy better parts.