WAMAS Tank of the Month

I'd like to start by thanking WAMAS members for this opportunity to show off my system. This was truly a surprise and quite an honor.

I've been back into reefing about 5 years now, and I'm totally hooked. I had a "minireef" back in the 80's, but things have changed a lot. This tank was an upgrade from a 55 that got full very fast. I had everything to set up the 90, so it was setup in a different location. I slowly transferred live rock, corals, and fish over the course of a month. Everything did great for about 8 months, till I got tired of the original scape a decided to change it. Not a great idea. Over the course of the next 3 months I slowly lost most of the SPS pieces that I had. I couldn't figure out what was going on as all my parameters were within the acceptable range. I finally decided to start doing water changes and that turned the tank around. I changed 75% of the water over the course of 3 weeks. This system has been reborn since April 2012. For my return I use a mag 9. 5. For circulation 2 Koralia 4's and 1 Koralia MAG 5 do an awesome job.

For lighting I use a Coralife metal halide T-5 combo. 2 150 DE 14K Phoenix bulbs and 4 54 watt T-5's. 2 Blue Plus and 2 Coral Plus over driven by a 660 Ballast.

For filtration I use a Pro Clear Aquatic sump that has a drip tray. Under the tray is a compartment where I have my cryptic fuge. The water drips down through the rock and various sponges that populate this zero light area. The skimmer is a Marineland Pro 300.

For alkalinity and calcium I use 2-part. So far magnesium has been maintained by my water change schedule of 5 gals every other day.

My fish population is kind of sparse due to the derecho that hit over the summer. I plan to add a White striped possom Wrasse and 2 neon gobies and maybe a designer clown or two.

I feed Jan's All Natural Reef food once a day, and give my tang some Nori every other day.

My biggest challenge with this system is getting some of my SPS to color up. Most look great, but others, not so great.

I would like to upgrade my 150 MH's to 250's.

I really enjoy this hobby, and all the great people I have met through WAMAS. Thanks so much for this opportunity.

• 11:30 - 4x T5 ON
  • 12:30 - 2x 150 MHs ON
  • 7:30 - 2x 150 MHs OFF
  • 8:15 - 4x T5 OFF

• Salinity: 35 ppt
  • Temperature: 78 - 80°F
  • Alkalinity: 8-9 dkH
  • Calcium: 410-420 ppm
  • Magnesium: 1300 ppm
  • Phosphate: 0ppm
  • Nitrate: 0ppm

• Display: 90-gallon Marineland w/ CPR Overlflow
  • Sump: Pro Clear Aquatic
  • Skimmer: Marineland Pro 300
  • Lighting: 2x ATI Blue Plus T5, 2x ATI Coral Plus T5, 2x 150 DE MH Phoenix 14K
  • Return Pump: Mag 9.5
  • Circulation: 3x Koralia power heads
  • Reactors: Two Little Fishes 150

• Orange Spot Kole Tang
  • Green Chromis (3)
  • Copperband Butterfly

• Softies include various mushrooms, yumas, ricordia, and a small piece of xenia.
  • LPS includes plates, frogspawn, torch, favias and chalices
  • Various Montipora
  • Pocillopora
  • Various Seriatopora
  • Stylophora
  • Various palys and zoas