WAMAS Tank of the Month

Thank you to the WAMAS members for nominating and selecting our tank as the March TOTM. I will do my best to share details about our set up. Our current system was set up in October of 2010 as a temporary set up when we moved from Arlington. The system is made of 3 breeding tanks, an RBTA tank, a refugium and a 60 gallon bare bottom mixed reef. Circulation is provided by a MAG 18, vortech and koralias.

The RBTA tank uses a tek light fixture with eight 54W T5 bulbs, the mixed reef uses two 250 W 14K bulbs powered by icecap ballast.

Filtration is provided by my refugium, rock and ASM G6X skimmer.

We use a two part to maintain our alkalinity and calcium.

The system includes anemones, SPS, LPS and softies. The system has 3 Bangai Cardinal breeding pairs, 5 Clownfish pairs, an Algae Blenny, two Yellow Tangs, a 3 Dragonets and a hybrid Tang. Our favorite fish is one of the clownfish and our hybrid tang.

We feed Spectrum pellets and our homemade frozen food once a day.

For us finding time to set up our future tank is the largest challenge.

We would like to set up a 240 gallon mixed reef tank and a 300 gallon fish only system.

My best advice is to find what works for you, experiment with ideas, but find what works for you and your reef system. We created the domes and rock structures after using the products that are currently available and not being fully satisfied with the end result. We took ideas from reef photos and attempted to recreate the same structures in our aquarium.

• Salinity: 35 ppt
  • Temperature: 80 - 82°F
  • Alkalinity: 8-9 dkH
  • Calcium: 430-440 ppm
  • Phosphate: 0ppm
  • Nitrate: 0ppm

• Mixed reef: 41"x18"x24"
  • RBTA tank: 48"x24"x14"
  • Breeding tanks: 48"x13"x13"
  • Sump: 42"x18"x18"
  • Refugium: 48"x13"x20"
  • Return Pump: Mag 18