WAMAS Tank of the Month

I would like to thank WAMAS for featuring my tank. I have been in the hobby for 6 years now and have always enjoyed the challenges and rewards of this great hobby. It is a true honor to share my system with the club.

I currently have two tanks tied together. The main display is a 105g bare bottom tank from Deep Sea Aquatics. This tank is located in my office and plumbed to my basement. The other tank is a 70g bare bottom cube. Both tanks drain to a 100g Rubbermaid sump.

I use a BlueLine 70 pump for the return to both display tanks. A Sea Squirt in the 105g alternates the flow between Loc-lines. In-tank water movement comes from 2 Tunze 6055s and 2 6095s, controlled by a 6095 multicontroller.

The display tank is lit by 2 400w metal halides and 2 54w T5 actinics. I use Lumen bright wides with 12k Reeflux bulbs. I also have 3 moonlights (2 blue, 1 white). The metal halides run for 7 hours, and the actinics run for nine. I’ve recently purchased 2 LED fixtures but haven’t installed them yet, as MH have proven for me to be the heavy weight champ.

My skimmer is a Euro Reef 8-2 skimmer body with 2 psk1000 pumps. I use filter socks, which I clean every 3-4 days. About 120lbs of live rock provides biological filtration. I also do weekly water changes.

I don’t use any additives. I do however feed a few different blends of food which contain amino acids.

My goal in this tank was to try to keep smaller, less aggressive fish. I have a total of 24 fish in the main display. Over half of the livestock in this tank are wrasses and cardinals. I enjoy the fish frenzy at feeding time. As far as corals go, it is all SPS!

I try to feed 3 times a day. I like to mix up the diet with a friend’s homemade mix, mysis, brine, Roggers, oyster eggs, and krill.

My main challenge comes from my well water. There have been 3 episodes where my corals have all suffered tissue loss. Each time this has happened I have chlorinated my well, and my tank fully recovered. To battle this I am now going to chlorinate annually.

Setting up a dedicated quarantine is on the top of my list. I have vowed to not buy another coral until I do! I think the quarantine tank will be a good spot to try those LEDs.

I really enjoy this hobby. I get great satisfaction in watching my corals & fish thrive. I am also very thankful for the people I have met through WAMAS.

• Salinity: 1.025
  • Temperature: 78 - 80°F
  • Alkalinity: 9 dkH
  • Calcium: 460 ppm
  • Phosphate: 0ppm
  • Nitrate: 0ppm

• Display: 105g DSA
  • Sump: 100g Rubbermaid feed tank
  • Skimmer: Euroreef 8-2 with 2 PSK1000
  • Lighting: 2 400W MH and 2 54W T5
  • Return Pump: BlueLine 70
  • Circulation: 2 Tunze 6055 and 2 Tunze 6095