WAMAS Tank of the Month

Well I have been apart of the club for the last 3 years and what a great group to share corals, knowledge, and create friendships in the reefing hobby. I have been in reef keeping for 17 years. It started with me asking my dad if I could convert a 29 gallon to saltwater and a 20 gallon long. At that point I really did not catch the coral bug other then having a green hairy mushroom which I no longer have. After college, I got married and my wife allowed me to use some wedding money to put all the livestock into a 75 gallon which is the tank I currently have in my living room. The tank has been moved as it did sit empty for 2 to 3 years after we moved and I just kept the tank going to keep the bacteria alive on the rock. So 3 years ago my wife told me you need to do something with your fish tank and so now it is completely packed with all types of coral mainly SPS corals. I'm really excited to be featured as the TOTM and appreciate everyone who has bought corals from me over the last 2 years..

I dose Bulk Reef Supply 2-Part. Calcium Chloride is 250mL a day and Sodium Bicarbonate is at 450mL a day. I also dose reef roids once in a while.

The biggest challenge has been to quarantine SPS in a fishless system to make sure I keep ich and pests out of the display. I think I have it down now, so we will see. I have also had issues with high salinity due to dosing so much 2-part. I have to pull some water out weekly and top off with fresh RO/DI water.

I currently have a 120 gallon tank where everything from this tank will move over to, so I am very excited. It has finished it’s fishless cycle and I will be putting fish over in there very soon.  I will also be upgrading to a calcium reactor.

I absolutely love this hobby and I know I will have many more tanks in the future. I am honored to be chosen for TOTM. Keep on reefing!

• Salinity: 1.026
  • Temperature: 77 - 80°F
  • Alkalinity: 8.2-8.5 dkH
  • Calcium: 420 ppm
  • Magnesium: 1350-1400 ppm
  • Phosphate: 0.04-0.06 ppm
  • Nitrate: 2-5 ppm

• Display: 75g All Glass Aquarium w/ Eshopps HOB Overflow
  • Sump: Eshopps Sump
  • Skimmer: Reef Octopus 152S
  • Lighting: 2 Hydra 26HD, T5 Retro Kit w/ 2 ATI Blue Plus Bulbs
  • Return Pump: Sicce 3.0