WAMAS Tank of the Month

Hi everyone! My name is Luis and I have been reefing for a while, but not considered an expert. I am always learning from you all. I set up my first tank in Puerto Rico back in 2013, but took it down to move to the continental U.S. I went back to the hobby a year ago with a 40G (AIO) tank. It’s a mixed reef LPS/SPS dominant and it's been the most difficult tank I have had so far.

Tank is a 40G AIO set up in my bedroom (bad idea). It’s been running for a year and a half.

One MP10 and a Nano Koralia.

One Radion G4 Pro. I started with an IA prime, but felt like I needed more light. I love how the Radions grow corals.

Skimmer (Aquamaxx) and Chaeto in the back chamber.

I use ESV Bionic A and B that also provide trace elements. I also use Brightwell Magnesium, and sometimes dose AcroPower.

I have small fishes: (2) Clowns, (1) Midas Blenny, (3) Blue Eyed Cardinals, (1) Solar Wrasse, and (1) Purple Tang (Tang Police), and (1) Mandarin

Feed them once a day with a mix of different frozen foods. Also supplement Nori for the tang and add copepods for the mandarin. They are all fat.

There were many challenges, I started with the wrong foot using sand that contained heavy metals, which killed every single coral and fish I added to the tank.

More info here: https://wamas.org/forums/topic/87874-icp-test-results-are-in/

No big plans, just keeping an eye on what I have. Need to save money for a big upgrade!

Enjoy your tank. It doesn’t matter if you have cheap corals, just sit and enjoy how they grow!

• 12:30pm to 9PM AB+

• Salinity: 1.026
  • Temperature: 78°F
  • Alkalinity: 8.2-9.0 dkH
  • Calcium: 440 ppm
  • Magnesium: 1300 ppm
  • Phosphate: 0.04ppm
  • Nitrate: 10ppm

• Display: IM Fusion 40
  • Skimmer: Aquamaxx HOB
  • Lighting: Radions

• The Mandarin Dragonet is my favorite fish