WAMAS Tank of the Month

Happy New Years to everyone, my name is Sherwin and I've been in the hobby for over 15 years. I was exposed to the fish aquarium hobby at a very young age from my dad with fresh water, and eventually got into saltwater tanks when we moved to south Florida in the early 90s. I started it again 3 years ago with a 40G (AIO) and moved to a 120G a year after. It is a mixed reef LPS/SPS dominant and my first time taking care of a tank with so many corals and fishes.

Tank is a SCA120G set up in my basement. It’s been running for a year and a half.

Two MP40 (using the default setting from Apex), Jebao wave maker, and Tunze Powerhead.

For lighting, I use T5 Hybrid (Aquatic Life), 2x Kessil 350, 1x Kessil 150, and 2x Hydra Twenty-Six.

For filtration, I use 2 Filter Socks, Nyos 160 Skimmer, Chaeto/Mangroves in the center chamber, Dragon's Breath in the CPR Refugium attached to the Carbon Rx. Also I have a 30G saltwater reservoir for auto-water change and is controlled by the Apex system. It changes 1.8G of water per day between 11am to 1pm, and I use the mjTropic Marin Salt.

I've been using Fuel from AquaVitro for 3 years and dose Iodide from AquaVitro once a week. I'm running a Duel Chamber Geosreef CaRx.

My current livestock includes (2) Bonded pair Black Ice Clowns, (1) White-Lined Combtooth Blenny (My favorite Blenny), (2) Bonded pair Tanaka Wrasse, (1) Male Melanarus Wrasse, (1) Purple Tang, (1) Pink Bar Goby with pistol shrimp, (1) True Sheppard Angel, (1) Bluestreak Cleaner Wrasse, and (1) Hippo Tang.

I feed the tank once a day with LRS Reef Frenzy and nori three times per week. Also supplement OceanMagik from Algae Barn about 2 times per week.

The challenge is keeping the tank parameter stable without huge fluctuation. Changing the filter socks once a week is very important, and keeping my hands out of the tank as much as possible. It took about 6 to 8 months to truly understand the limit of the tank setup and capability.

No future plan for a bigger tank. I think this motto is true to the hobby, "Happy wife happy life".

Sit back with a few beers and enjoy the tank.  It has been a blessing to watch the corals' growth, but maintaining the growth (fragging and making territorial space) is a challenge in itself.

• Hydra 26s - 10am to 11pm (dusk to dawn effect and peaks between noon-5pm)
  • Kessils - noon to 7pm
  • T5s - 1pm to 6pm
  • Par level is between 150 to 550

• Salinity: 35-36 ppt
  • Temperature: 76-78°F
  • Alkalinity: 7-8 dkH
  • Calcium: 450 ppm
  • Phosphate: almost undetectable
  • Nitrate: almost undetectable

• Display: SCA120G
  • Sump: Trigger Systems Ruby 36
  • Skimmer: NYOS 160 (rated for 250G)
  • Lighting: 2x AI Hydra 26, 3x Kessils, T5s
  • Return Pump: Eheim Pump
  • Circulation: 2x MP40, Jebao Wavemaker, Tunze Powerhead
  • Reactors: Carbon Reactor (change every 3 months)
  • Refugium: CPR refugium overflowing back into the sump
  • Fuge Light: AI Prime
  • Controller: 2017 Apex with DOS
  • Bio Media: 2 large media brick (1 next to the skimmer, 1 underneath the chaeto)
  • Other: Separate pump for the return manifold for Carbon Rx and Calcium Rx

• Bonded Pair of Tanaka Wrasse
  • White-Lined Combtooth Blenny

• Favorite: WD Tenuis, JF Homewrecker, Indo and Aussie Gold Torches
  • JF Vino Montipora
  • Ultra Blasto with Orange Rim and Blue Center
  • JKC Mango Tree Acro
  • TSA Optimus Prime Acro
  • Pink Lemonade Acro

• Rose Bubble Tip Anemone
  • Pistol Shrimps (Japanese and Tiger)
  • Anemone Crab
  • Cleaner Shrimp
  • Blood Red Fire Shrimp
  • Pom Pom Crabs
  • Large Yellow Hawaiian Sea Cucumber (Extend up to 10 to 12 inches)