WAMAS Tank of the Month

I am honored to have my tank featured as “TOTM" here on WAMAS! This means a lot to me and I am excited to share this with everyone. Fish keeping has been one of my favorite hobbies since I was a kid, but I did not get into reefing till 4 years ago. My brother was the first person who got me into this hobby.

My main display is a 120g Acrylic peninsula tank but I painted one side and it sits on a DIY wooden stand. The tank, stand and sump was hauled back by my friend, Deran (WAMAS member SomethinBruin). He also helped me out on the installations of the tank, so a huge shout out to him.

On the left side of the tank, I have a Jebao SOW8 running 100% and a Jebao SCP 120 running at 20%. On the right, I have a Jebao OW40 running at 100% and a Hydor Nano hooked up to a battery backup unit.

I am running 4 Ecotech Radion XR15s G4 with diffusers. The lights are mounted on a DIY aluminum mount. Lighting schedule is from 9am to 7pm at 35% intensity (Modified Coral Labs AB+ with reduce UV outputs).

For filtration I run a 40g Sump with Caulerpa Mexicana and grape Caulerpa. I use a ReefLife skimmer. (1:00pm to 10:00pm) Media Reactor with ROX .08 (30% recommended amount) and PolyFilter (10:00pm – 10:00am). I do about 15% weekly water change, and don't use filter sock.

I mainly dose KALK via ATO, Acropower 5ml daily, and Tropic Marin A & K trace elements 5ml each weekly.

I have 19 fish total, including 1 Yellow tang (got him since almost the beginging of this hobby), 1 Dory (bully), 1 Purple tang, 7 Banggai Cardinals (love them), 3 Female Lyretail Anthias, 1 Barlette Anthias, 1 bicolor dottyback (jerk), 1 Sixline Wrasse, 1 Midas blenny, pair of yellow watchman gobies, 1 cleaner shrimp and 1 fire blood shrimp.

I usually feed about one cube of frozen mysis/brine shrimps daily. Occasionally I treat them with frozen cyclopes. Coral food weekly. Dried seaweed every other day for the tang gang.

Currently the tank has some minor issues including bubble algae, aiptasia and high phosphate. However, the tank is pretty stable and so far so good. I made a big mistake by added a lot of used dry rocks without properly curling them and ended up with high levels of phosphate. I brought the high phosphate down from 0.90 to 0.29 slowly with Lanthanum Chloride. Since the system is somewhat stable, I am leaving phosphate as it.

At some point I will likely either restart the tank or upgrade to a larger euro-braced starfire glass tank.

I love this hobby. Reefing is just like living life, it has its ups and downs but for the most part, I enjoy it a lot. There’s so much to learn and I have met so many wonderful reefers who are so passionate about this hobby (Henry, Deran, Ricardo, Arbin, Nigel, Chuck, Joe, Brice and David). For those that I met and forgot your names, please forgive me! Again, thanks WAMAS!

• 9am - 7pm: Modified Coral Labs AB+

• Salinity: 1.025
  • Temperature: 77 - 78°F
  • Alkalinity: 8.3 - 8.5 dkH
  • Calcium: 450 ppm
  • Magnesium: 1400 ppm
  • Phosphate: 0.29 ppm
  • Nitrate: 5 - 10 ppm

• Display: 120g Acrylic Tank
  • Sump: 40g Sump
  • Skimmer: ReefLife
  • Lighting: 4x Ecotech Radion XR15s G4