WAMAS Tank of the Month

I’m running a CAD Lights Artisan II 185 gallon display in my basement.  It’s a long term work in progress, which I’ve switched around a couple times.

My focus is a low nutrient system with a high water volume and a low bioload.  The drain goes through the wall into a 100 gallon Rubbermaid with a 5 foot frag tank, external skimmer, and chiller attached.  Then a drain from the Rubbermaid goes into a large sump and to the return pump... no refugium.

I have tons of water movement, with an emphasis on eliminating dead spots.  I’ve been running an EcoTech L1 nonstop about 1/4 speed.  The display has two MP40s and two WAVs facing front running on about 10-25%  varied settings.  My rockwork was designed for flow through.  The Rubbermaid has an MP40.  Three 2k icecap gyres are in the frag tank.  Tunze powerheads are in each sump chamber turned on once in awhile.

I’m using Hamilton Lights 3x 250 watt MH with 4x T5 in the Cebu Sun fixture on the display.  I’ve been very happy and like the look.  The cons are power usage, bulbs should be changed within eight months, and heating.  T5 runs from 1:30pm until 10pm.  MHs run four hours and come on at 2:30.

I have around 140 lbs of live rock in the display and three large marine pure blocks.  I use two filter socks that hook directly on the drains from the display to Rubbermaid and Rubbermaid into sump.  Nothing fancy, plastic hooks glued to the pvc.  I use a Reef Octopus 5000 external.  I use a DOS hooked up to an Apex for auto water changes totalling seven gallons of water daily.

As far as additives, I’m using two-part dosing. At some point I’ll likely switch to a calcium reactor. I’m very strict on parameters and normally keep Ca at 425ppm and Alk at 8.5dkH.  I’ve tried Aminos and Vitamin C, but have seen no big difference.  Nothing else.

I focus on keeping mixed corals.  I especially love acros and euphyllia as can been seen in the display.  I don’t have many fish at the moment.  I have a powder blue tang, 2x lyre tail anthias, silver belly wrasse, Naoko wrasse, chromis, diamond goby, and cleaner shrimp.  I will change fish around at some point.

I’m particular on feeding. I drop a small square of nori for the tang in daily.  I feed frozen reef frenzy, not a ton, and usually rinse all my food. Sometimes I’ll feed mysis instead.

The biggest struggle I’ve had was maintaining parameters.  I thought of running a Trident, but I’m currently indifferent.  Anytime I travel, it can also get tricky.

Next, I’ll probably add a small system plumbed inline. My wife has been asking about seahorses so that could be an option.  Otherwise I’m focused on growing colonies and aquaculture.

I enjoy the hobby and talking with others about corals. I hope to see more aquaculture and captive bred fishes for the future.

• T5: 1:30pm - 10:00pm
  • MH: 2:30pm - 6:30pm

• Salinity: 1.023
  • Temperature: 78°F
  • Alkalinity: 8.5 dkH
  • Calcium: 425 ppm
  • Magnesium: 1050 ppm
  • Phosphate: 0 ppm
  • Nitrate: 0 ppm

• Display: 185-gallon CAD Lights Artisan
  • Sump: 100-gallon Rubbermaid
  • Skimmer: Reef Octopus 5000 external