WAMAS Tank of the Month

Hey everyone! I am Conner, and this is my 90g SPS (mostly acros) dominated reef in Washington DC! I have been in this hobby on and off for about 15 years, but there was about an 8 year gap between my last tank and this one. I set this tank up in October of 2018, and it has been going strong ever since! It’s definitely been a journey, and was even taken apart and moved to another spot in my house about a year or so ago.

It’s a 90g SCA 3ftx2ftx2ft “cube”. It’s in my living room, located across from my couch for optimal viewing, and surrounded by my equally addicting hobby of collecting rare plants.

My strategy for water movement is the more the better! I have a ton of flow on my tank, and as corals have grown out, I am looking to add even more! I have 2 EcoTech MP40’s set to reef crest mode on one side, at about 90% max. On the left side set at 100% reef crest mode, I have 1 EcoTech MP10. For the return pump, I run an EcoTech Vectra M2 set to 50% constant.

I am running 2 EcoTech Radion XR30 G4 Pro following the AB+ Spectrum. This lighting has been great, but now with the size of some of the colonies I have, I am experiencing shadowing and need to increase my light spread before too much longer.

Primarily the automatic filter roller I have takes care of most of the filtration. I use the Clarisea sk-3000, and honestly don’t need much else besides that. I believe that a healthy beneficial bacteria level is the most important aspect, and that includes having diversity in it. I sent in a bacteria sample of my tank about a year ago, and the results were honestly shocking. The bacteria levels in my tank were very far off of the lab's ‘typical’ samples they got, and since introducing other forms of bacteria to my tank things have actually improved significantly. Other than that, I have a very large skimmer that really doesn’t pull that much out and refugium that I recently added back to my tank after not having one for about 2 years.

I use BRS 2 part, currently about 120ml of each per day. I utilize the Tropic Marin Balling method. In addition, I also use Acropower.

Feeding is done daily by a Neptune AFS with a mix of fish & coral food. Currently there is PE Mysis Pellets, Ocean Nutrition Formula Two, and BRS Reef Chili in it. 3x a week or so I feed LRS Reef Frenzy, and Nori 1-2 times a week.

I have been lucky and haven’t had too many challenges. I seem to have always had cyano in small amounts in my tank, but have never really worried too much about it. I tend to let my tank sort itself out, and try not to intervene as much as I can. I am a strong believer in minimizing the number of times you put your hand in the tank. Presently, I have a bit of hair algae in places, but it doesn’t seem to be spreading much and I am not terribly worried about it. My clean-up crew definitely needs some replenishing which is probably why its there.

New tank in a new house! Looking to go big into the 200+ gallon range for a display and a separate coral frag system once I find a new place.

• Ramp Up: 12:00pm - 1:21pm
  • AB+ Spectrum: 1:21pm - 10:24pm
  • Ramp Down: 10:24pm - 11:40pm

• Salinity: 1.026
  • Temperature: 78°F or so, ocassionally it creeps up to 80°F
  • Alkalinity: ~8 dkH
  • Calcium: 440 ppm
  • Magnesium: 1300 ppm
  • Phosphate: 0.06 ppm
  • Nitrate: ~10 ppm

• Display: 90g SCA 36x24x24" with Starfire Glass
  • Sump: Bashsea SMS-3018 Smart Series
  • Skimmer: Reef Octopus Regal 200-INT
  • Lighting: 2x EcoTech Radion XR30 G4 Pros, 1x Kessil A360 over my frag area/refugium in my sump
  • Return Pump: EcoTech Vectra M2
  • Circulation: 2x EcoTech MP40’s, 1x EcoTech MP10
  • Dosing Pumps: Kamoer X4 Pro
  • Controller: Neptune Apex EL, Trident, DOS for Auto Water Changes, ATO, Lots of water level sensors, solenoids, and leak detectors
  • Heater: Inovative Marine Helio 2x200w
  • Other: Clarisea SK-3000

• Wannatabae Angelfish
  • Tomini Tang
  • 2 Davinci Clownfish
  • Mandarin
  • 2 Resplendant Anthias
  • McCroskers Flasher Wrasse
  • Yellow Tang
  • Aptasia Eating Filefish

• TGC Cherry Bomb
  • Walt Disney